Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

So while I love that Kmart is doign the free layaway has anyone else experienced their rules that go with it?

Here in SC it is as follows:

10% of the total layaway cost down

no service charge (their freebie part supposedly) Has anyone seen their layway signs, really? It reads either a service charge of $10 or 10% of the total of the layaway whichever is larger see vent one, so nope still not free.

toys can only be laid away for four weeks

$10 cancellation fee even if for a short period layaway

The frugal person I have to be for a family of six I found nothing free about this layaway plan. While I did not expect it to be completely free we all know there is small print. The thing is a 4 week toy layaway really?  Oh yeah you do not find this out by any store advertisement just small print reading there may be exclusions outside the 8 or 12 week layaway, no mention of a toy exclusion. So you shop for your child, head to layaway after spending hours in the store toy shopping and then BAM they hit you with the toy exclusion. HUGE bummer for this frugal mom and yes I started before the holiday with said layaway, sigh.

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM

just start shopping ahead of time and put things away through the year instead thats what i do 

Quoting MichelleK41:

Yep I am done as well, gave it a try and that's it.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

i dont do layaway thats why ! 

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yeah my Aunt gave this advice as well. I thought Sept. was ahead but ran into the 4 week thing. Thank you though, great advice. =)

Quoting Stevensmomma:

just start shopping ahead of time and put things away through the year instead thats what i do 

Quoting MichelleK41:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

i have used kmart layaway only once in my whole life and it was because I was recently divorced and had no money to get gifts for my son.  I had to be on top of this and pay on time.. the sales didnt come out as sales because of what I had to pay in charges... so that said to me it is smarter and easier to just save the money cash in my house (hide it, so you wont use it lol) and go shoping when everything is on sale.

allyn9
by Carey on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I have never used layaway so really know nothing about the service.  Sorry to hear that it is not what you want it or need it to be though.

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Thanks, lesson learned here for me.

Quoting allyn9:

I have never used layaway so really know nothing about the service.  Sorry to hear that it is not what you want it or need it to be though.

MDWife12
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM

:(

MDWife12
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never used lay way and would love to do it someday but that wont happen this year lol

MDWife12
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM

This is a really good idea :)

Quoting yvonne37:

i have used kmart layaway only once in my whole life and it was because I was recently divorced and had no money to get gifts for my son.  I had to be on top of this and pay on time.. the sales didnt come out as sales because of what I had to pay in charges... so that said to me it is smarter and easier to just save the money cash in my house (hide it, so you wont use it lol) and go shoping when everything is on sale.

MDWife12
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I wonder why they only do 4 weeks for toys....wouldn't it make more sense to have everything be 6 or 8 weeks? I looked at WalMart lay way one time and it was saying that everything has to be a minimum of $15 and no electronics or something equally dumb like that...made me mad and I decided against it.

Quoting MichelleK41:

Yeah my Aunt gave this advice as well. I thought Sept. was ahead but ran into the 4 week thing. Thank you though, great advice. =)

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Quoting MichelleK41:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Yeah I saw that for Walmart too. Went in there today and they did not have hardly anything that my kids would like.

Quoting MDWife12:

I wonder why they only do 4 weeks for toys....wouldn't it make more sense to have everything be 6 or 8 weeks? I looked at WalMart lay way one time and it was saying that everything has to be a minimum of $15 and no electronics or something equally dumb like that...made me mad and I decided against it.

Quoting MichelleK41:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Quoting MichelleK41:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement