Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When giving doesn’t cost anything!

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've been getting emails and phone calls and yes, old school snail mail letters asking for my money. From the awesome museums in my city to fabulous organizations that help the homeless, from amazing groups that teach kids to read to much-needed foundations that study the world around us...all hit us up this time of year. In December, I'll talk about donating and how to be sure your money is going to the right places, but today, let's chat about ways to give that doesn't cost us a penny...when you give of yourself. Sounds like it is another thing for you to do, but actually, it is pretty easy to slip into your everyday.

-- Check in with folks. Whether it is the elderly lady down the street or a phone call to your sister who has been having a rough time lately, giving your attention, your time, your focus to people is an amazing gift.

-- Share memories. When sitting with your kids, especially with your spouse or parents around, share stories of your family. Talk about the time at that you went to Florida as a family when you were 10 or the five-hour road trip you and your husband took to visit a baseball park.

-- Donate your time. Maybe a friend is overwhelmed these days and needs someone to watch her newborn for a few hours. Maybe your church secretary needs help stuffing envelopes for holiday service. Maybe the local woman's shelter needs someone to fix up some holes in bed linens. Your time is priceless and valued.

What have you done lately, in giving back, that made the most difference -- for you and for the person you helped?  

©iStockphoto.com/ CreativeEye99

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh geez. I don't know. I give a lot of my time to church. Like this week I am helping with the nativity festival this weekend. There's a lot to do to get ready. It's a huge event.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM
We also have the 25 days of service every december - some things cost money, others don't. It's great to do a good deed every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:05 AM
We've volunteered at a local food pantry.
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this

we had so much fun this year filling out the shoe boxes for 4 kids for the samaritan's purse.  My daughter kept grabbing things and saying, "look mommy, the little boy would love this" or "how about this for the teenager girl?" my husband, the kids and I scrambled all over stores and every time we saw something nice we would think about the boxes.  Made our family happy and our kids felt what christmas really means.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Does inviting two people to Thanksgiving that dont have family or friends in the area count?

suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I give my time every week in service to my church. 

I also give money to various outreaches 

suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I would say , it would :-) way to go girl!

Quoting jbyrd898:

Does inviting two people to Thanksgiving that dont have family or friends in the area count?

Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

i donated clothes to people in need after the storm for their kids

MDWife12
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I am giving a friend of mine a ton of my baby stuff  that I am not using - changing table, swing and a bouncy seat. 

cjsmom1
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't done anything outside of work. I've been working 90 hours a week for the last month. I donated a couple dollars to St l. Jude's and will have ds pick out something for toys for tots.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)