Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

I need to learn how to start and keep a savings account..

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:34 AM
  • 7 Replies

Any advice?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this

diligence is key! How bad do you want the savings account? save what ever you can each pay check even if only a few dollars. Start there and build it up slowly each week if you can.

It took a while but we went from savings only 5 -20 a week to now between our savings and the kids we save at least 400-600 a month now. Varies from month to month the amount but its much larger than were we started.

Also get debt free! Pay off bills and you will save a ton!

Read Total Money Make Over by dave ramsey it changed our life for the better in so many ways!

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Have savings taken straight out of you paycheck. Use a different bank then you normally do, and dont get an ATM card with it. This has helped us.

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I would go to your local branch on where you are planning to start a savings accout and let them know what you are looking to do with it.  They can be very helpful in planning and saving. 

Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM

i couldnt have put it any better than this ! :)

Quoting suziejax:

diligence is key! How bad do you want the savings account? save what ever you can each pay check even if only a few dollars. Start there and build it up slowly each week if you can.

It took a while but we went from savings only 5 -20 a week to now between our savings and the kids we save at least 400-600 a month now. Varies from month to month the amount but its much larger than were we started.

Read Total Money Make Over by dave ramsey it changed our life for the better in so many ways!

sarah.xo
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Quoting suziejax:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
proudMom2634
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM

same here..

Quoting sarah.xo:

I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Quoting suziejax:

Living is good, but being a Mom is even better!!  

sparkyco2
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:56 PM

one thing i do besides putting money in a savings account is save all my change from breaking bills and toss it into my purse each time i do it.  at the end of the week i empty all the change i have in my purse into a jar and save it there when the jar is full i take it to the bank OR sometimes i we really really need something for our home i will use it for that.  the last time i turn in my change i had approx 425.00 after saving it for a little less that a year.

OH and Dave Ramsey is a MUST READ, it helped me see the craziness in the credit cards and now we have one with a very low limit the rest of ours are paid off and we had over 15,000 in CC debt, it felt like a huge stress relief to me to finally get rid of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)