Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Yucky Dinners

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM
  • 15 Replies

What dinners do your kids hate?

What dinners did you hate as a kid? Do you like them now?

Do you allow your kids to choose something else to eat if they do not like what is for dinner? (even if it's only for a few certain hated meals)

throwing up

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dazyjo
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM
I ate just about everything i was given. I don't like onions, radishes, turnips, parsnips, or lima beans, so i would just picks these out of whatever they might be in.I wouldn't have dreamed ask for something else.

My kids don't have any certain dinners they hate but it goes nite to nite.

My 9yo DD has recently (maybe 2 yr) become rather picky, deciding she doesn't like carrots, casseroles, and things made in a crock pot, etc.and often doesn't finish her meals or says she 'not that hungry' if I fix something she doesn't like. But will later ask for snacks, or dessert, or a Honey sandwich instead. She is on the verge of getting a little bit chubby, and with puberty coming soon, I've decided our 'New (year) Deal' will be this:

I'm going to make her a 'Get Out of Dinner Free' card(like monopoly). She will be allowed to use it once a week or 4x in a month (I haven't decided which) to trade her dinner, before plating, for a (healthy) alternative she can make herself (cuz I'm not a short order cook). After it's used up, she'll just have to suck it up and choke down all the carrots in the casserole.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by Deanne on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Quoting Dazyjo:

I ate just about everything i was given. I don't like onions, radishes, turnips, parsnips, or lima beans, so i would just picks these out of whatever they might be in.I wouldn't have dreamed ask for something else.

My kids don't have any certain dinners they hate but it goes nite to nite.

My 9yo DD has recently (maybe 2 yr) become rather picky, deciding she doesn't like carrots, casseroles, and things made in a crock pot, etc.and often doesn't finish her meals or says she 'not that hungry' if I fix something she doesn't like. But will later ask for snacks, or dessert, or a Honey sandwich instead. She is on the verge of getting a little bit chubby, and with puberty coming soon, I've decided our 'New (year) Deal' will be this:

I'm going to make her a 'Get Out of Dinner Free' card(like monopoly). She will be allowed to use it once a week or 4x in a month (I haven't decided which) to trade her dinner, before plating, for a (healthy) alternative she can make herself (cuz I'm not a short order cook). After it's used up, she'll just have to suck it up and choke down all the carrots in the casserole.

The monopoly idea is cute! if your kids are old enought to make a healthy meal on their own, that would be a great alternative.

cjsmom1
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I ate whatever I was given growing up. I didn't realize what a horrible cook my mother is until I got older and started eating at my friend's houses.

DS will eat anything so if he says he doesn't like something I know he doesn't like it. I normally would have him take 2 bites and then he only has to finish everything else on his plate.

I am not a cook and if he doesn't want what I cook then he doesn't eat. Never has he said he doesn't want what I  made. He may ask to not have a specific item or only a small amount of that item.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:14 PM

We were not allowed to say we didn't like what was served to us. If you didn't eat dinner, you could wait until breakfast...believe me, you are hungry then and anything tastes good when you are hungry. There were 7 of us kids, you better eat when you could....someone else would be glad to eat it for you. 

AzariahsMother
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I feel like she hates everything these days.  The 1 thing she won't eat is pot roast.

AzariahsMother
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Can't really remember any dinners I hated, but I didn't like veggies. 

MissyB1011
by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I can't stand rice or stuffing. I never have liked either one. I had to eat when growing up. I will eat a couple bites in front of the kids though. I want them to understand that even though I don't like something, I still have to eat.

My DD doesn't like grilled cheese sandwiches. That is a bit odd to me. DS isn't too picky. I don't make them a separate supper. They eat what we eat. They may eat smaller amounts and be hungry before bed. I do allow a slice of cheese as a bedtime snack.

Dazyjo
by New Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:41 AM
A kid who doesn't like grilled cheese? That's like a woman who doesn't like chocolate! Lol!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 7:43 AM

My son doesn't like grilled cheese either. The only bread I've seen him eat more than a bite of is biscuits and even then its only like once a month.

Quoting MissyB1011:

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM

My kids are not real picky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement