Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown -- Gifts your kids can make

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, folks, Christmas is next week, so this is our last holiday Thursday Thrifty Throwdown...sigh. We covered tons of ways to save money, budget and still have some ho ho ho without breaking the Family Piggy Bank.

For this last one, it is all about our kids, as I know many of us are keeping them in the forefront our minds these days (more so than usual). I've got some ideas on some gifts your kids can make you, your spouse, Mumma and Paappa that you can cherish for years to come (not as much as you cherish your little ones, but close).

Artwork - We all love to get those torn-out pages of rainbows and clouds, but bump it up a notch and make it ready to hang with the use of stretched canvas squares. You can grab them at almost any craft store (or on Amazon) and create some cool word art like ModPodgeRocks did here. Joy, Peace, Love...or just have a few picture scenes in a row or cutouts glued on. You know your MIL would love it.

Bookmarks - You can do this with any material...fabric, construction paper, whatever. Add fun elements like yarn or pompoms. Again, great for the grandparents or for you to use everyday.

Mosaics - Grab those catalogs, and have your kids go to town cutting out little squares of all different color and then gluing them onto paper in any pattern or design they want. Frame it and bam! Perfect present to be adored for years to come.

Personalized coffee mug - Find some cheap white mugs and a porcelain Pebeo pen (you can get it here on Amazon), and your kids can create a fabu gift to be used every morning. A Beautiful Mess, Classic Play and DesignMom all have the details on how to do it as well as interesting inspiration for what your kids can put there on the mugs. (I'm definitely doing this for our end-of-the-year gifts for teachers!)

What gifts do your kids give?

©iStockphoto.com/ Shank_ali

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
natesmom1228
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting arpazia:

Those are great ideas!
Sadly I've nothing to add, ds would rather shove bamboo up his nails than do crafts:(

Those are cute craft ideas, unfortunately, my sons have the same opinion of crafts as arpazia's son.

I might need to try some of them myself, though.

Can I lump my son in this catagory? He has never been crafty.

aneela
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM

book marks are a nice idea

suziejax
by Suzie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM

pictures

suziejax
by Suzie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM

my son makes me cds

suziejax
by Suzie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

art scluptures

suziejax
by Suzie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

dd does hand sewn things

ReesesPieces
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM

My kids don't really make any gifts, but they do exchange names so that they buy a gift for one of their siblings. 

MamaMandee
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:37 AM

My oldest (now 14) made painted coffee cups her grandparents still have about 10 years later. 

timon95
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM

for my parents - they usually make something plus give a recent pic of themselves

for dh's mom - pics of themselves

to each other - they buy a toy

MDWife12
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I really like the idea of the kids making personalized mugs - even if you aren't a coffee drinker you can use them for tea, apple cider or even hot chocolate (yum!).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN