Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

2013 Plans?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM
  • 24 Replies
Who in here is making new budgeting plans for the new year? (Raises hand)

What I'm going to begin doing is tracking EVERY penny I spend. I can't watch my husband like a hawk so I have to fix this. My question - how do you handle joint / separate bank accounts?

Right now - I have my business account and we have a joint account. What I think I want to do is open one more checking acct. all of our money gets deposited into 1 account then I can transfer out bills and whatever is left we each get x amount in our separate accounts and then the rest goes to savings

How do you do it?! I'm really going balls to the wall here on my own lol so I can use any help I can get :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:13 AM

I could probably do a better job tracking money myself.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM

My DH doesn't keep track of his pennies, either.  We had a HUGE fight this week about this very thing.  He gets an allowance each week, enough for gas and a few extras.  As of last night, he had nothing left because he'd bought flowers for me with his allowance, so I had to dig out some cash from our savings so that he can get home tonight...and I am the oddest woman in the world in that I HATE getting flowers for any occasion.  We've been together for 19 years and he KNOWS that! 

Anyway, we have a joint bank account.  We do not carry debit cards or credit cards.  I keep the checkbook with me unless he is going to need it for something specific, like a car repair or livestock feed.  He gets his allowance for gas/extras, I get a certain amount of cash for groceries/gas/extras.  Bills are paid out of our bank account.

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM
We are switching jobs the end of January so we definitely had to redo our budget. Our goal for 2013 is to have all our credit card debt paid off and pay cash for a new to us vehicle that will fit all of us.
We have 2 joint accounts. We both know or have a general idea of how much is in each account at all times. I know one is really low right now so not to touch it until our check is deposited today. So if he needs gas on the way home today he knows which account to use. The checkbooks are in my purse but he is very good about balancing it when he uses his debit card or leaves the receipt out for me and tells me about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paris2lmp
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband takes $20 out of each check and hands the rest over to me.  I deposit his checks into my account to pay bills with.  My checks are our budget for gas and groceries for the week.  I keep any tips I make as my "allowance".  I use a envelope for the gas/grocery budget too.  We use about $150 a week for our family.  Sometimes, if I don't have enough on my check, I have to pull $ out of the account to make up the difference.  But so long as we keep to the bill budget, there is usually a few dollars in the account at the end of the month.  So far we have managed to pay off almost all our medical bills ($3,000 about at the start of the year), and all of our credit card debt (about $12,000) and have made progress with several other major debts this year using this plan.  It has been REALLY hard for us, and we couldn't have done it without help!  My other suggestion is to get a couple pocket notebooks and carry them with you (give one to your huband too) and write down EVERY SINGLE PURCHASE.  save receipts and record them in a word doc so that you can always go back and figure out where the money went.  But mostly, if you stick to the budget, the penny counting won't make that big of a difference in the end.

Good luck!

Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM

well were gonna keep doing what we have been its seems to work well for us

suziejax
by Suzie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

We have a joint bill pay account but dh never touches it ... 

( when we spend on things for home, car, hair cuts, eat out  etc I use cash set side each pay period)

He has his own play money account ( he get an allownace has to cause he knows he would mess up the bills plus he has a few extra side indenpendant contractor jobs besides his regualar salary job)

I have my own play money account ( I do independant conractor work as well and earn revenue form my web site all money goes into my account)

The kids have savings accounts each for college

we have savings ( one for Er fund, another for Buy A new car fund!)

the kids have checking I use for them for their child support

lillybug222
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM
My plan is for us to get by! We will become a family of 5.

I bring home half of my gross pay after taxes, insurance, and retirement, so I do not make enough to pay all of our bills. I'm $1000 short before gas & food. I will have about $6000 docked for maternity leave (I have $3200 in savings).

My husband currently draws unemployment & works 8 hours a week from home making $18/hour.

We're doing okay right now, but if he can't find a job & his unemployment runs out, we won't be able to make it, so I am very concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM

We will be making a new budget! Starting the new year we will have different bills to pay and a different amount of money coming in as well.

MDWife12
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM

We have a joint checking account and a savings account. I look at the bills that need to be paid for the week and run it by my husband - he gives me any input he feels necessary and then I tell him how much money we will have after a couple different scenerios, then I pay the bills and let him know that we have x amount of dollars until pay day again so don't go crazy lol :)

NewMommyB
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM

We will be making a new budget! Starting the new year we will have different bills to pay and a different amount of money coming in as well.

What are you thinking about changing up? 

Brittnae
Mom of 2 - Wife to HS Sweetheart
Stay and Work at Home Mommy from the UP of Michigan 

Facebook me: fb.com/BrittnaeG
Twitter: @BrittnaeG

My Blog

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement