Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone used Gradsave or a similar service?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM
  • 6 Replies

The holidays and my daughter's upcoming birthday always make me mildly annoyed about the anticipated wave of gifts (granted - a good problem to have, but for the most part, for me it's still a problem). So far it's been just relatives/close friends, but we are about to start having kid parties now that she is older. I am looking for ways to cut down on the waste and save myself time returning or donating a good chunk of gifts for which we have no room or need. I was looking for some way to redirect gifts into college savings for her or something along those lines. Came across Gradsave.com. Just looking for opinions if anyone has used it and how it worked out. Or maybe suggestions for something similar?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
allyn9
by Carey on Dec. 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Sorry, this is the first I've ever heard of Gradsave so I can't offer any advice about it.  With family, can't you just come right out and say what you said here:  with your child(ren) now being old enough to have parties with friends,  you know they will  get more than enough gifts to make them very happy and because you know how much you want your kids to be able to go to college, you would so appreciate it if family would consider just putting whatever they might gift into a college fund instead.  I believe it's worth a try!

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Dec. 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM

never heard of it.. sorry.. but I think your idea is a very good one. I suggest maybe you explain this on the invitations if the people you invite are close to you and let them know that it is for college... but you should also give people the option, some people like to buy the gift themselves.

left1820
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I have quite a few unused GradSave $50 gift card vouchers issued by Living Social. Please PM me if anyone is interested for sale price $25. Thanks.

GradSave $50 gift card 529 plan issued by LivingSocial

A good education is priceless –- but the cost of tuition is hardly that. Give a child the ultimate gift for the future with this deal from GradSave, an online college savings registry that's been featured in The New York Times.

• a $50 GradSave gift card to help start or boost a child's college savings
• The gift card can be easily redeemed and linked with any nationwide tax-free 529 savings plan, prepaid tuition, or other savings account
• Parents can invite friends and family to make gifts to the registry via email, Facebook, and Twitter; monthly autopay is also available
• Savings can later be used toward tuition, room and board, books, and other related expenses
• Funds are securely stored in an FDIC-insured account until moved to parents' choice of savings plans
• The perfect practical gift for your child, nieces, nephews, grandkids, or friends

Limit 1 per customer, up to 5 additional as gifts • Limit 1 voucher per customer, beneficiary, account, savings plan, or 529 plan • Limit 1 per transaction; cannot be combined • Entire value must be used in a single visit • Other conditions apply
PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON January 11, 2018
PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON April 23, 2013

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Hmmm.

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM

never heard of it

pattya925
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Never heard of GradSave... My son has an established 529 that people can donate to... or if they are old school, they can always buy savings bonds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)