Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown -- My big idea for 2013

Posted by   + Show Post

The stockings are empty. The tags are all torn off. Kids are actually still playing with those new toys (shocker!). Perhaps, just maybe you have a few seconds to think about what's happened this past year and what may be ahead.

The main thing I have been thinking about - that has to do with our Family Piggy Banks as well as most of Life - is fear. Often we avoid hard questions, hard choices, hard decisions because of fear. Dang, it is everywhere. There's the fear of the unknown, fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of change.

We may not even know it, but if we could not be doing something - whether it's trying a new job or changing up our thoughts about money, or having a tough conversation - because we are afraid, well, then we may not be fully reaching that level of happiness we deserve.

And we know I'm not defining happiness as more money in the bank or a good solid savings account. I'm talking happiness with ourselves, our relationships, our every day being. Happiness can be contentment, time to be with our kids, learning a new skill.

We all deserve happiness. We all must stop being afraid. So, I'm looking ahead and making a promise to myself not to be afraid. To choose to do something about whatever it is I may be afraid of, to tackle that fear head on, to question why that fear may be there and do what I can to change it.

How will I do that? Well, I'm going to keep laughing. I know, not what you'd expect...and here's where I quote Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (I know, you didn't see that reference coming did you?). In the first two-parter when the pony friends were off to save all of Equestra and encounter some scary elements, Pinkie sings of what her Grandma Pie told her, "You've gotta stand up tall, learn to face your fears, you'll see that they can't hurt you, Just laugh and make them disappear."

So, let's stand tall, laugh a little and face those fears, shall we?

What is your big idea for 2013?

ŠiStockphoto.com/dosecreative 

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
cara124
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM

This is a great goal to look forward to ! ...

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I have a lot. The biggest is to find a new job.

cara124
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I wish I could follow this advice about the small stuff ... Seems i'm always worrying about things that really don't matter 

Quoting michiganmom116:

My big idea?  I've got a few:  don't sweat the small stuff, take care of you and yours first, and don't take life so seriously (HAVE FUN!)

elasmimi
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM

To delete all those tempting offers without even opening them!

4kidz916
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I plan on spending more time with my family and enjoying every minute of it. 

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM

It took me 45 years to get to where I gave up worrying about the small stuff.

Quoting cara124:

I wish I could follow this advice about the small stuff ... Seems i'm always worrying about things that really don't matter 

Quoting michiganmom116:

My big idea?  I've got a few:  don't sweat the small stuff, take care of you and yours first, and don't take life so seriously (HAVE FUN!)

cara124
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

maybe thats the secert ! ... I'm turning 40 in a few weeks.. Maybe i'll be able to achive this goal by 45 LOL

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting cara124:

Quoting michiganmom116:

timon95
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Quoting jbyrd898:

I'm going to have to think on this one!

family car

ceciliam
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I always have big ideas....they are never really just limited to a new year. We just keep growing and learning.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Hmm...will think about it!

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Age definitely helps.  I'm 43 & do a lot better at not stressing the small stuff.  I also know lots of other moms with kids my kids' age - so the moms are all younger, some a lot younger.  I feel like I can pick out which ones are a lot younger just by what they worry about & post on FB.  Not really a criticism since I've BTDT, more of an observation I guess.

Quoting cara124:

maybe thats the secert ! ... I'm turning 40 in a few weeks.. Maybe i'll be able to achive this goal by 45 LOL

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting cara124:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement