Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

I'm taking over finances

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM
  • 4 Replies
My boyfriend just got a job. I just got laid off after my dads business didn't work out. I'm looking for work.
Anyways, he wants me to handle the money. I'm fine with that. He wants to split all the bills. Once again, I am fine with that.
I want both of us to save $1000 each. I know I can do that, but I'm not sure about him. He hasn't had a job for a year and I know he wants to get things he has been wanting.
Would it be wrong of me to add $25 each month to the bills and put it in an account? Should I have him get a savings account and set up automatic transfer to savings?
I've never handled anyone else's finances so any tips you have would be great.
I plan to put the half I don't have to pay towards my debt. Try and tackle them this year. Well next year really. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
cjsmom1
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I would set it up so that a certain amount goes into savings every time he gets paid, even if it's only $20 each check it adds up.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Dec. 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

definitely set up an automatic savings.. just let him know you are doing so, this way he wont be upset and he will feel part of it.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
towerjunkie1989
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM
My mom has an extra savings account she said we could use. I'm going to tell him after his first check that $25 a month will be going to savings and that I will be saving as well. We've both suffered layoffs so hopefully he will be okay with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM
I think its a good idea
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN