Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

How did you cut corners when it came to spending money for christmas?

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM
  • 20 Replies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deedee3849
by Deanne on Dec. 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM

A budget and sticking to it! We also called a truce with several relatives and said "no more gifts" except small homemade type items. We will just enjoy each other's company this year without the need for exchanging equal amounts of gift cards lol.

3mom627
by Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM

No more buying for my sister, my BIL and my nieces. We are going to exchange gift cards. Next year a better budget will be made as it is tough buying everything with cash.

3MOM627

have a nice day

lillybug222
by Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 7:22 PM
We filled out health surveys through my health insurance company & they gave my DH & I $75 gift cards to any store we chose. That was $150! Then, we spread out the rest of our spending.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I bought things when they were on sale or clearance.

TDMumof3
by Theresa on Dec. 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM
We really didnt cut corners this as it being the first christmas we havent had to borrow or sell something to afford christmas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I bought 2 AMERICAN GIRL dolls when they were having a one day sale for $50 each.regular price was $127 each, bought a gently used Kitchenaide stand mixer formy daughter  from Craigslist  for less than half price of a new one..it is beautiful...bought other gifts on sale and shopped early on...I think I statred in September.

burch731
by Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I didn't.  Every year I say that I'm not spending as much yet every year I spend even more than the previous year.  

Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I buy all year round so it doesnt hit us all at once

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Quoting Stevensmomma:

I buy all year round so it doesnt hit us all at once

Same here, although I do more figuring out a list/collecting a few things for the first half of the year, then I start looking in earnest starting in July.

I also earn Swagbucks and redeem them for Amazon gift cards, then used the accumulated balance to buy gifts from Amazon.

I made a few gifts.

momtoblueeyes
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:06 AM
I wish I would buy early in the year instead of all in December causing me to be so broke I had to borrow gas money to go to work. Sigh.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement