Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Are you making any financial resolutions?

Posted by   + Show Post

Soooo, the holiday spending is all done...soon, the bills will be rolling in. Sigh. Did you stay on budget - or is redoing that budget on the top of your 2013 Financial Resolution list?

Resolutions are a hot topic all over the place these days...as well as the top hints on how to actually keep them (two main tips: be very specific with your goals and have a buddy system). Did you make any? Okay, more importantly, for us here at the Family Piggy Bank, what are you hoping to do money-wise this year?

Could be a simple as making a budget or pledging to put away $10 a week for an emergency fund, your financial resolution doesn't have to be huge and, you know, might not even involve money.

My resolution? Getting all of our paperwork (which is piled in a few different places around the abode) organized and...wait for it...making our wills. Yeah, I'm totally irresponsible on that one and I don't take it lightly. It is an ASAP-Must-Do of the tallest order. To make this one stick, I'm giving myself two months to get it done...and I'm telling a few buds (and all of you!) what I need to accomplish (yes, you have permission to nag me). 

What financial goals do you have for 2013?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/marekuliasz

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Brittany211211
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM

What are good ways to say on your baby during the first year?

Jules_K
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:53 PM

To get all credit cards paid off for good so I dont have to work so much. To be free to spend time with the kids.

Angelfaces
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM

To plan out meals better.  To eliminate wasteful spending on things I don't need.  To save more.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

paying all my credit cards :)

tyGodformykids
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

ORGANIZE.  Got a new app called expense manager from BOA. Keeps log of all incoming and outgoing monies.  Can't believe how much I spend for no good reason. Great app.Hope it helps you.

Oh, and if you keep telling yourself that cutting back on the little stuff now will help get you something bigger later, like a vacation..........that works too. Wish me luck

taylorjjj
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM

No but I did want to invest in something that would help my family earn more income. I went to a Armondo Montelongo live event in hopes of earning more income and to have more time with my children but that didn't go to well and I am very disappointed. The event was free but toward the end.......$$$$$ and I went for it, I really thought real estate was the way for me. Thank god I only put down $100.00 before reading a website full of investors/students who didn't get want was told in the live event.  The full cost for a three day training was $1500 + $ for the tour bus and etc. I am sooo freaking happy I didn't pay that money because a lot of people who did, didn't get a refund when they wanted to cancel. I've decided that I'm done with the get rich quick scams, not that it's really what I want but I really wanted to be able to put a huge deposit down on our house...shrug shoulders. Time to save, save and save.....I will be able to do it but it will take me a little longer then expected. My dh is great and I would love to take some weight off his shoulders:)

Larisa72
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

we are implementing a 2 month frivilous spending freeze - will only be purchasing what we need....have medical bills that need to be taken care of, etc. that need to be taken care of and want to put more into savings...also doing the 52-week savings plan to hopefully have $1300+ at the end of the year

pattya925
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Paying off at least $9,000 in debt (car loan/student loans), Saving up to pay cash for new tires this spring.  Saving up for California trip to visit friend and go to LegoLand.  

Larisa72
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Quoting Brittany211211:

What are good ways to say on your baby during the first year?

Things that I did eith each child: hand-me-downs for clothing, interchangeable outfits (multiple options/combinations means less clothing to buy since they grow so fast), make your own diaper wipes (Tablespoon of baby shampoo, water, cut a roll of paper towels in half.  Mix shampoo and water...about a cup or so, shake well, put half the roll of paper towels in the container and invert so they get soaked with the mix)...or, you can use regular wash cloths (walmart sells bundles for about $5) and rinse out the poopy ones in the toilet (when it's empty) and store them all in a container with water and a little bleach/detergent, then put them in the wash separate from the clothes......breastfeed if possible, of course......when at the point of mushed food, you can make some of that yourself....carrots can be cooked them mashed, mashed bananas, any veggies can be cooked and mashed (carrots were the first that popped into mind)....

Larisa72
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM

we've also decided that we WILL pay of the credit card that we had to use for the school computer (DS is in an online school since the public school refused to follow his IEP and he ended up getting beat up - the other kid only got a 1-day in school suspension)....we meal plan which has helped a LOT (as in...we WERE spending orughly $1000 a MONTH on groceries, now we spend about $500 for 2.5-3 months)....planning on doing more canning this year since we didn't do any at all last year - spaghetti sauce, pickles, things that I'd rather do myself than pay store prices for

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN