Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

How do you save money when shopping for groceries

Posted by   + Show Post

How do you save money at the grocery store? coupons? off name brands? what helps your family?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
alliesmom112
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I watch for sales, use coupons, and buy store brand on some things. There are some items I refuse to buy store brand so I try to stock up when they are on sale

GodblessedkeeX3
by New Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I love this idea but having three young kids doesn't enable me to do this very easily, by the time I get everything on sale we are either eating extremely unhealthy and the kids are happy and I am fat. Or we shop healthy and mom is thin an has energy and spend a little more but cut out the fast food junk out, any input?

Quoting allyn9:

I am a sale shopper who also coupons.  What we eat and drink is generally based on what is both on sale and what I have a coupon for.  I take advantage of sales and stockpile too.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Store brands I do try buy a lot of!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oddfox
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:25 PM

We have several options most people don't . We keep a small raised bed for tomatoes and can enough sauce for the year from it. We also grow a few other things for fun. We frequent a bump and dent grocery store near us. (They buy over runs and near expiration merch for resale at discount). They also stock bulk items, like oatmeal and flour. We also get day old bread from a local grocery chain, it's given to our church and free for the taking. We know a woman who sells chicken eggs inexpensively. (They are not standard sizes, nor checked for fertilization. It's still worth it.)

More ideas helpful to the majority. We get great bargains at our local Dollar Tree. Most are not food products but all help our overall budget. Toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, bar soap, tinned mackarel, shampoo, conditioner, ammonia, cleanser. Our regular family grocer frequently has 10 pound deals on ground beef and chicken. We buy in bulk and divide into meal sized portions for the freezer. We buy lower priced vegtables in season and build our meals around them. Like stuffed potatoes or soups. We use coupons on occassion and work with CVS, Giant and Rite Aid deals. We use non fat dried milk for most of our needs. All this saves a bundle.

mrswillie
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Some things I buy generic

buy fresh fruits & veggies that are in season

stay stocked, so I only buy on sales (I get all my boneless skinless chicken breast for $20 for 15lbs)

Don't buy prepacked snacks. Make your own pudding cups, jello, cookie packs, etc.(I love tupperware and since it has a lifetime guarentee the price is worth it)

AleaKat
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Off brands.
Go in with a limit on what you want to spend.
Round up on all prices when keeping track.
Save snack foods for last.
Compare prices with oz to make sure you get what you pay for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michelles89
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:35 AM
I buy store brand not name brand and I coupon. Coupons and sales
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM

off name brands and shop what is on sale

BeachLifeMama
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Coupons, B1G1, generic brand, buy things on sale. 

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Groceries are the worst part of my budget. I love to eat and hate to deny myself delicious food. I also love to cook and only the best ingredients will do lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement