Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

DH's shopping trip....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 37 Replies

Well, like most women I get nervous to let my DH go shopping for anything by himself! He doesn't shop around for the best deals, typically, and he just likes to spend money. Haha. Well, our oldest son has been sick so I stayed home and let my husband go shopping for dress clothes he needs for work and class. I was nervous! Well, he goes to Marshall's (a discount clothing store here) and finds a reversible belt (black on one side and brown on the other) for $12.99 that was originally $24.99. Score! Very nice belt too. I was happy! Then he goes to another discount clothing store here called Gabriel Brothers. They have clothing that has either been sewn wrong or just a name brand store has had overstock and so they mark the prices down...waaay down. Well, he is a big man. 6'6 and about 250lbs and buying him a new pair of jeans or pants can cost upward of $50 a pair! So, he finds 3 pairs of really nice khaki colored dress slacks that were marked $9.99/pair. We thought THAT was a steal!! So he takes them to pay for them and they rang up only $3.00/pair!!! This is a CRAZY steal for him!! He also got a tie that was really nice for $3.99...so the tie cost MORE than his pants! Haha. Anyways, I had to share this amazing shopping trip that my husband had and how excited he and I both were at his savings!! So very proud of him :)

Do you trust your husband to shop alone? Does he come home with steals/savings or spend too much?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Good deals!  My SO always buys his own clothes.  He's too picky.

MrsHubler
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband will take longer in the store than I will because he has to amke sure he is getting th ebest deal.. I would let him go shopping every time by himself; but there are certain things I hve to have name brand wise or I can't use it... So, I tend to do it anyways!

gmadiane
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

thats awesome, woo hoo for your hubby!!!  When I first met dh he had no idea how to shop but I trust him completly now

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't trust my dh to shop alone at all. He goes to the store for milk and comes out with cookies to go with the milk and then sandwich makings because you need to eat decent before you pig out on the cookies & milk and of course you need a couple of videos to watch while eating the cookie.

natesmom1228
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Yes my hubby was a bachelor before me so he is great with finding the best deals.

BipolarMom09
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM

My DH picks his own clothes too because he is very particular about what he wears, but I am almost always there to make sure he stays on budget. :)

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Good deals!  My SO always buys his own clothes.  He's too picky.

BipolarMom09
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

LOL You just described my husband at times!! Too funny :)

Quoting baconbits:

I wouldn't trust my dh to shop alone at all. He goes to the store for milk and comes out with cookies to go with the milk and then sandwich makings because you need to eat decent before you pig out on the cookies & milk and of course you need a couple of videos to watch while eating the cookie.

HisSweetheart07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

It's rare when he comes home with any type of savings lol 

However, over the years he's become a more thoughtful shopper. In the early years of our marriage he would go to the store and buy whatever he picked up. So if I sent him to pick up mac & cheese and the first thing he picked up was the $3.50 box of mac and cheese - that's what he bought. Didn't matter to him that there was a generic brand that's $1 cheaper sitting right beside it. Now he'll pause and look for cheaper brands then compare the two to see which is the better deal. I'm very proud of him for that. 

BipolarMom09
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Yes, when I first met my DH, he was single and in the Army. He lived in the barracks and got free meals and only had to pay his cell phone and car payment (which was autodrafted). He spent his money on movies, eating out, gas, and just random stuff. I had to clean up his credit from things he never paid on and basically teach him money management...and I was 18 years old!! lol

Quoting gmadiane:

thats awesome, woo hoo for your hubby!!!  When I first met dh he had no idea how to shop but I trust him completly now

Larsbug
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM

that is awesome! DH is more of a home body so he hates shoppings and typically won't do it. I do most of it, even if it's something for him and he stays home with the kids (which is fine!). Luckily DH wears a uniform for work and the rest of the time he wears jeans and t-shirts so I don't have to buy much for him. Well his work boots are ridiculous and I hate buying them but I know that he needs them, same with everything else he needs for his duty belt. Ugh, the department needs to pay for more things lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN