Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

This may be a completely stupid question, but please bear with me.  I have been seperated for about 6 months now and have been living with relatives since.  So, I have not had to bear the sole grocery bill burden for my son and I.  So I am trying to work up a budget for us to see what I am going to be able to afford as far as renting a house.  My son is 3 and I am 30, and we have 2 large dogs who will be eating probably one 30lb bag of dog food a month (approx $30).

I am thinking $200 a month for groceries ... Is that being far too modest?  I can recall when my ex and I were together spending about $400 a month on groceries, but, then he had no sense of being frugal whatsoever, where I most certainly do.

Thoughts and opinions are definitely appreciated!!

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Replies (11-13):
momofsixangels
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I would do a little more.Have some extra just in case.

MomTeacher247
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I love all of the input and GREAT suggestions!!  I hadn't considered all of the things that I will need to buy my first couple of trips to the store that I will only need to buy every few months.  :-) You've got my brain working ... Thanks again!

cjsmom1
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I would budget a little more for the first couple months just so you can get all the basics (seasonings, baking supplies, pasta, rice). I haven't bought pasta in months because when I had a little extra money I bought a ton of it, plus we don't eat it too often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN