Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

We're starting the envelope system for this year to try and
save some money and get a control on our finances. 

Does anyone have any tricks of the trade? 

I know -how- to set it up and how to do it but
I wondered if there were any tips from old pros ;) 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Replies (41-47):
alliesmom112
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM

We are starting the Dave Ramsey program this year too. I am looking for some tips from seasoned vets too 

alliesmom112
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM

When we did it we had the same problem in the beginning so we separated out his spending money and he carried it with him. If he didn't have cash then he didn't get it. 

Quoting mckinneymom918:

We tried this for our grocery/eat out/ entertainment expenses. But it wasn't working for us. Because... I stay home, so sometimes hubby stops at the grocery, or for pizza or a sub or something on his way home. Well, I kept the cash. So he'd use his debit card... It turned into a huge headache cause either I'd have to take that cash to the bank, or remember it for next month. Now, we use an app that we both have on our phones and can update immediately. Works better for us.

alliesmom112
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Our church is doing the classes starting this week. 

Quoting GodblessedkeeX3:

If you really want the whole scoop it is all started from financial peace university by Dave Ramsey, there are DVDs and classes you can take, we just recently started this, I would advise being a paycheck ahead at all times, it seems to keep us on our toes and away from thinking there is extra when we really need it in ten days... We have not taken the classes but did but the wallet and some informational materials... I know some who taught classes also

hopealways4019
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I been using this system
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Good luck!
quickbooksworm
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Honestly the idea of taking out all my cash, putting it in envelopes, putting it BACK in, then making payments seems crazy to me. The envelope method seems like it would have worked better for me 10 years ago before I paid everything online. Also, I'm an accountant so it just doesn't make sense to me to deal with that much cash. I use mint.com to set my budgets and track my expenses. For business I use Quickbooks but I really like Mint for my personal stuff. It has an app and is linked to your bank accounts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodblessedkeeX3
by New Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM
What is the app called? Imbinterested

Quoting alliesmom112:

When we did it we had the same problem in the beginning so we separated out his spending money and he carried it with him. If he didn't have cash then he didn't get it. 

Quoting mckinneymom918:

We tried this for our grocery/eat out/ entertainment expenses. But it wasn't working for us. Because... I stay home, so sometimes hubby stops at the grocery, or for pizza or a sub or something on his way home. Well, I kept the cash. So he'd use his debit card... It turned into a huge headache cause either I'd have to take that cash to the bank, or remember it for next month. Now, we use an app that we both have on our phones and can update immediately. Works better for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN