Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

What is your grocery budget?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 20 Replies

For a family of four we spent $400 each month last year. And every 2-4 months another $80 - $140 on meat (it was $140 every two months, then I got smart and found another market and cut out red meat. Now it's 80Lbs of chicken for $80-$90 and that lasts 4 months)

I've decided to challenge myself to cut back more this year. Finances are SUPER tight right now, but DH does not want me going back to work until I finish nursing school. He says my degree is most important and we will cut back where we need too. So I'm trying to do it on $200 each month, with $25 going into savings to buy that meat package every 4 months. I feel like it's going to be easy with the way prices are now, but I hear all this talk about things going up.

Is your budget going to suffer severely if prices go up, or will you adjust your habits to account for it?

Wife to B in love

Mom to two lovelies twin girls

Blogger @ The Queen Of Chaos  nerdy

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermario4ever
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

My budget is $200 a week but I don't spend it all unless I am stocking up on meat. And my in laws are giving us their old freezer cause they got a new one. So i will be able to really stock up soon on all things frozen. Right now I just have my freezer on our side by side fridge. So once I stock up on things I will be spending less and hopefully be able to cut our weekly budget some and put more in savings.

MichelleK41
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM

There's 6 of us and we spend about $100 a piece a month plus non food and pet supplies.

HisSweetheart07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Family of 4 - I spend about $400/month give or take.

mmeredith
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I spend about 300 a month. I'm trying to cut back but it's hard for me really. & if prices go up, IDK what we will do.

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Family of 5, 2 children with food allergies, we spend around $550 a month. I try to stay around $125 a week. I do allow a little extra for good sales.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheQueenOfChaos
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Once I get my budget in check I'll probably bump it back to $400 to get the sale stuff too. That's alot of what I was doing before, it was alot of stock up stuff.

SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I'm trying to get our grocery budget back under control after an insane Nov/Dec. For our family of 5 - youngest is 12 - I'm aiming for $85/wk, including meat.

Essentially, I'm aiming for about $350/month.

If you already have a well-stocked pantry, I can see doing $200/month, mostly on produce, for a little while until you need to refill. Good luck!

Remsmom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I try to keep it under 80/week ofr our family of 3 (our daughter is only 8 months). Most weeks I can do it, ubless I am stocking up on a few things.

MamaMandee
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Family of 5 and we spend anywhere from $400-$600 a month. 

natesmom1228
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM

My budget is $50 - $60 a week. I rarely go over that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement