Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

For a family of four we spent $400 each month last year. And every 2-4 months another $80 - $140 on meat (it was $140 every two months, then I got smart and found another market and cut out red meat. Now it's 80Lbs of chicken for $80-$90 and that lasts 4 months)

I've decided to challenge myself to cut back more this year. Finances are SUPER tight right now, but DH does not want me going back to work until I finish nursing school. He says my degree is most important and we will cut back where we need too. So I'm trying to do it on $200 each month, with $25 going into savings to buy that meat package every 4 months. I feel like it's going to be easy with the way prices are now, but I hear all this talk about things going up.

Is your budget going to suffer severely if prices go up, or will you adjust your habits to account for it?

Wife to B in love

Mom to two lovelies twin girls

Blogger @ The Queen Of Chaos  nerdy

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
melaniecerise
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM
My budget is $200 every other week. It is me, dh, ds 5 and dd 4. I can usually do it for $120-150 every other week though. I am a savvy shopper
erikays
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Family of 5, about 100-150 a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Family of 5 and we spend about $200 - $300 per month. We're able to keep that low because of raising our own beef, pork and chicken (sell extra's). We also have our own eggs and a huge garden. Basically we end up buying the staples. I do not include things like dog food in our groceries because that fits in our "farming" budget. The seeds and plants however go in the food budget.

SweetMama823
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I'm gonna try to budget $150 a week for fam of 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Ours is $350 for a family of 4 and sometimes I have a little money left over.  And we eat very healthy.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I typically spend $60 to $100 a week to feed 5 adult appetites.  We eat red meat, real butter, lots of veggies, but we don't eat pasta, bread, cereal, or rice...and very little dairy. 

allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I honestly don't have a grocery budget, but have always sale shopped and couponed to get the best prices on the things I buy.  

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Right now I spend about 5-600 on a family of five. I'm trying my best to keep our budget as tight as possible. I just went grocery shopping today, spending 180. I need to go out tomorrow and get 10lbs of hamburer (about $25). That will be our food for the next two weeks, and our kids do not eat school lunches.

alliesmom112
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Our budget is usually 300 a month. I try to stay way below that though with sales and coupons and buying from local farmers whenever possible  

alliesmom112
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM

That is for a family of 2 adults and 1 growing (very fast) 4 year old 

Quoting alliesmom112:

Our budget is usually 300 a month. I try to stay way below that though with sales and coupons and buying from local farmers whenever possible  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)