Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Ideas, Suggestions, Opinions

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM
  • 18 Replies

hi mom's

if any of you are currently budgeting /saving, can you please tell me if you are using spreadsheets, templates, balance books. I put myself between a rock and a hard place and trying to do something to get myself out. No im not an extreme spender it just end of year hit hard.

So please ladies, if you would be so kind to share your ideas, suggestions, opinions. Thank you and it will be greatly appreciated.

jentyping

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this

What I do is the day before pay day write down every bill that has to be paid with the amount. Then on pay day before I do anything else, I pay all the bills. Its the only way I can stay within the budget.

paris2lmp
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My computer has a "sticky note" program that allows me to keep sticky notes with reminders up, but you could do the same thing with word.  I have a set budget of bills (rent, utilities, insurance etc) that I keep up at all times, then at the beginning of each month I copy and paste that list onto a new sticky note that is labeled "Jan bills" (or whatever month we are on).  I then add up all the bills, subtract from our expected income and figure out which bills are coming out of which pay day.  Every time a bill is paid I erase it from that list. I see it almost every day, so its a pretty consistant reminder to stay on budget, and I can always easily figure out where we are if something changes or an unexpected expense hits us.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a sheet that lists what I will owe each month and when it is due. As the bills & money come in I pay off the bills making sure not to spend money that I might think is "leftover". The leftover money is actually budgeted for bills that are larger then what my paycheck that week is. The last bill I pay each month is a student loan and I try to put extra on that bill only. I REALLY want it to disappear.

gmadiane
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I just have my bills organized on the desk and a big calender and I make sure I write down everything

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I use Money Sunset Premium (free download) to manage my accounts.  I did have to sit down the end of last year and use a spread sheet to rewrite the budget.  The Money software had too many distractions for me to do it with a clear mind.  Now I'm all set.

I just wrote down the bills:  savings, tithe, personal loan pymt, utilities, home & auto insurance, gas for cars, groceries, and I was sure to include a breakdown of annual/semi-annual payments.

powow65
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
IMO, write out the bills on a piece of paper (IE: gas/lights, net, food, pets (food & litter) than write down the amount of each bill & than write down what total you have amount of $$$. Than you see what you have for your $$$ & the bill $$$.) gl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sagagirl
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much mom's for all the ideas. If i didnt already mention it "it's appreciated". I actually started today writing things down that i spent in case i didnt get the receipt alot of times at lunch they dont give me a receipt. dont know why. now if i could talk my way into stop drinking soda i will be set. :-) typing

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I discovered http://www.youneedabudget.com/ last September and LOVE it!  They have a free 30 day trial and free classes on how to use it.  I highly recommend it.

~Shannon

sagagirl
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM

thank you. i actually have a copy book and i wrote the bills/misc that i pay monthly. thanks for your good suggestion,

sagagirl
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Hi Shannon,

I will check into that tonight before i go to bed. Sounds interesting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement