Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

This is an unpleasant subject but if you ever did become homeless do you have family or friends that would be there to help you get back on your feet?

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Replies (21-30):
breharb27
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

No, we have no one to help and unfortunately it was almost a reality for us this year...my husband had lost his job back in September and we have used almost every last bit of savings we had. If he hadn't secured a job this past week we would not make rent next month. As it is it's going to be super tight as we attempt to catch things backup.

We had already sold things off to make rent this month. I was fully prepared to get rid of our remaining belongings and pack our kids up into our mini van (which thank god we own) and find a nice warm campground to start our new life in. I had spent the last three weeks drying the berries and fruits we had stored in our freezer and turning it into fruit leather and just basically making up as many snacks as I could think of from the staples I had on hand so that we would have those things to eat for at least a while. 

It's scary to think of these things, especially when you have children. Shoot, I'm 5 months pregnant ( hubby lost his job two weeks after we found out about the pregnancy). These things are never easy, but it's also not the end of the world to be homeless. I have been there prior to being married and while I don't ever want to have to go back I'm much more resourceful now. Over the last nine years of being married I have acquired a family sized tent, sleeping bags for all of us, camp stove, survival supplies like matches, foil blankets, water treatment gear, fishing poles....I have just quietly stored them away. We've never been camping, lol. But I know that if anything ever happened that at least we would have things on hand that would afford us a chance of surviving. 

There are simply no guarantees in life and I have learned over the years to be prepared for the worst.

elizabooks
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Depends. I would have to store all of my belongings and do a lot of yard selling/flea markets to pare down, but a friend has 1/2 of a storage space I could use and a room we could crash at foe a few weeks but I have cats and that prevents usfrom staying many places. So we would hAve to make our way to DH's dads second house and staythere. If we didn't have the cats we could stay at my moms or even at the local KOA campground.
paris2lmp
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Yes.  I've been blessed that I have never been homeless as an adult, but when we were kids we were homeless several times.  We would occasionally stay with other family but most of the time we would live in tents or once or twice we would live in a bus (we had a 1950s style school bus that had been remodeled into a camper) or a camptrailer.

conniejo75
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Yes. But I would have to move to another state. My kids are old enough that it would be up to them if they move or just move into their Dad's
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:01 AM

We have lots of family and friends, have helped others int he past, and know we would get any help needed if we ever asked.  

acrogodess
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Yes. I have also helped friends who've become homeless.

Rain2Rinse
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Mil has multiple houses. My family owns a few apartment complexes and rental homes. We would be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I wouldn't go homeless because my family would be there to give us a roof

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I know I could count on my Mom.

JSKKP831
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I have been homeless when I was 18, still in high school. It was during the summer before my senior year. After a few months of living on the streets/motel rooms, I reached out to my Great Aunt that lived four hours away from me. I was able to stay with her awhile and then I was able to finish my high school due to my Aunt making arrangements with my friend's parents for me to stay with them. Then, my freshman year in college I was in a summer program where I got to stay on campus, but after that ended, I didn't have any where to go so I ended up staying at a women's shelter for awhile. It was not good, so I was able to get in contact with my cousin and stayed with her until I was able to get my own apartment. 

Now, if I were to become homeless, yes I do have family that I could stay with; it my younger years it was pretty rough. I was fortunate though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement