Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

The costs of having a baby

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hello! It's been 9 years since I have had a newborn and we are going to start TTC this coming December. I was wondering if all you moms out there could give me a general idea as to how much things costs these days? Thanks so much! We are trying to prepare ourselves now!

*Formula- please indicate which formula you use buy and the size of can

*Baby Food

*Diapers

*Wipes

ALSO!!! We live in central IL so I understand prices can vary but I just want a general idea.

Thank you again!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LavenderMom23
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on your preferences: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/how-much-does-a-baby-really-cost-how-i-raised-my-baby-for-the-cost-of-a-cup

How much does a baby really cost?: How I raised my baby for the cost of a cup of coffee a day

BY NAOMI CHARLES

• Wed Jun 13, 2012 14:41 EST
  • Comments (101)

SASKATCHEWAN, June 13, 2012 (LifeSiteNews.com) – I was pregnant for the first time, and feeling a bit anxious, so I asked my brother, whose wife had a baby the previous year, “How much does it cost to have a baby on a monthly basis?” David said, “If you can afford a coffee a day, you can afford to have a baby.”

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Are you working or SAH?

I chose to stay home for the first few years because daycare would have taken 75% of my takehome salary (good infant daycares run $1400-1500/month in my area).

I breastfeed, so it's pretty much free. I DID buy a pump ($300) and got bottles at my baby shower (probably $50 worth). I have them because I do go to school, so I needed them. If I just SAH, I would not have purchased them.

I received some diapers at my baby shower, but quickly stepped over to cloth diapers. I have six gdiaper covers, and 30 infant prefolds (old-school cloth diapers) that I stuff in the pocket. Altogether, I have spent around $120 for cloth after spending $60 for a few weeks of disposables.

I do baby-led solids, so no baby food. My son eats what we eat, and has since he startes eating solids at 7 1/2 months. So nothing!

I buy baby gear from consignment stores, and I WAY overbought baby furniture. I cosleep, so I shouldn't have bought a crib, ect.

I think I have MAYBE spent a little over $1000-1200 TOTAL since my pregnancy. Much of that was the pump and crib set.

Lifestyle choices will make baby more or less expensive. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Ha! I posted my experiences before reading that article... it's like the same advice! Funny!

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Depends on your preferences: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/how-much-does-a-baby-really-cost-how-i-raised-my-baby-for-the-cost-of-a-cup

How much does a baby really cost?: How I raised my baby for the cost of a cup of coffee a day

BY NAOMI CHARLES

• Wed Jun 13, 2012 14:41 EST
  • Comments (101)

SASKATCHEWAN, June 13, 2012 (LifeSiteNews.com) – I was pregnant for the first time, and feeling a bit anxious, so I asked my brother, whose wife had a baby the previous year, “How much does it cost to have a baby on a monthly basis?” David said, “If you can afford a coffee a day, you can afford to have a baby.”

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

The best thing to do would be to visit your local grocery store and get the prices in your area. When we got our granddaughter at 4 days old the only thing we had was a crib and a few outfits. Luckily we were able to get her on WIC because it would have cost us $40/week in formula. From there I used coupons and bought diapers/wipes wherever I could get them the cheapest. Lucky for us she didn't have any allergy's to anything. The one thing we did learn was we didn't need all the fancy gadgets that people insist you need to raise a baby. The only major expense I put out was for a tall trash can with a step on peddle to lift the lid. It was well worth it because it kept the oders in and at the time we had 3 grand kids in diapers!

We took lots of hand me downs in clothes and even if they were a little stained it didn't bother me. She soon stained them even more. I just kept the best for church, etc. A few rattles, binkies galore and 2 different diaper bags and we were set.

The 2 bags were 1 for quick runs and 1 for major outings.

tashraq87
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM

At the moment,I am still in school and will graduate in June at a COTA/L (Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant Licensed). I plan on taking the big exam within a month after graduation, but start applying for jobs in late April/early May. I want to get around 5-6 months of working in before I become pregnant. I am not looking to buy all the high end stuff. Just the neccessities like those that I mentioned, plus a crib, dresser, high chair and possibbly a pack and go; lots of onesies and like  5-7 outfits and a diaper bag. I don't believe in buying all the "need to haves" like a bouncer, those dumb Bumbo seats(which I dislike to to my profession's beliefs), etc....

I'd like to breastfeed, but if I end up like with my first born, then HELL NO! With her, I went from a 34B to a 34DD. almost a triple! I had to pump every thirty minutes because I was so engorged and it hurt so much! I did it for three days and finally, just deflated myself by wrapping my chest in recieving blankets and ace wraps for almost two weeks straight!!

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Are you working or SAH?

I chose to stay home for the first few years because daycare would have taken 75% of my takehome salary (good infant daycares run $1400-1500/month in my area).

I breastfeed, so it's pretty much free. I DID buy a pump ($300) and got bottles at my baby shower (probably $50 worth). I have them because I do go to school, so I needed them. If I just SAH, I would not have purchased them.

I received some diapers at my baby shower, but quickly stepped over to cloth diapers. I have six gdiaper covers, and 30 infant prefolds (old-school cloth diapers) that I stuff in the pocket. Altogether, I have spent around $120 for cloth after spending $60 for a few weeks of disposables.

I do baby-led solids, so no baby food. My son eats what we eat, and has since he startes eating solids at 7 1/2 months. So nothing!

I buy baby gear from consignment stores, and I WAY overbought baby furniture. I cosleep, so I shouldn't have bought a crib, ect.

I think I have MAYBE spent a little over $1000-1200 TOTAL since my pregnancy. Much of that was the pump and crib set.

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Its been so long since I had a baby!

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Cool. I am in school for my RN and my good friend is in the OTA program.

Get "So that's What these are for" by Janet Tamaro. Great book about breastfeeding.

Get just what you need as you go. So don't get a highchair right away for example. If you have good consignment stores, you can buy most things there, and trade in for the next phase...

Quoting tashraq87:

At the moment,I am still in school and will graduate in June at a COTA/L (Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant Licensed). I plan on taking the big exam within a month after graduation, but start applying for jobs in late April/early May. I want to get around 5-6 months of working in before I become pregnant. I am not looking to buy all the high end stuff. Just the neccessities like those that I mentioned, plus a crib, dresser, high chair and possibbly a pack and go; lots of onesies and like  5-7 outfits and a diaper bag. I don't believe in buying all the "need to haves" like a bouncer, those dumb Bumbo seats(which I dislike to to my profession's beliefs), etc....

I'd like to breastfeed, but if I end up like with my first born, then HELL NO! With her, I went from a 34B to a 34DD. almost a triple! I had to pump every thirty minutes because I was so engorged and it hurt so much! I did it for three days and finally, just deflated myself by wrapping my chest in recieving blankets and ace wraps for almost two weeks straight!!

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Are you working or SAH?

erikays
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Baby food: they ate what we ate, we did l.e.d weaning.

Formula: we use store brand and it was a lot cheaper, same ingridents.

Diapers/wipes: we use store brand, works for us :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyagain39
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I think diapers are going to be my biggest expense, except for daycare. and I am breastfeeding so that biggest expense is going to be the breast pump I am going to need for when I go back to work.  my youngest is 8 and I had no intentions . of having another one so I am going to be starting from scratch. I am due in March.  I am keeping it really simple, car seat, portacrib, stroller, bouncer, bathtub, that is it.

907PickleMom
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Cloth diapering can really save you tons and most daycarea will do cloth now. Check out www.cottonbabies.com
Store brand formula meets all if the nutritional requirements as the name brand.
Consignment shop for clothes and gear. Or thrift stores. Buy carseats new. Look into a convertible car seat that will go to 65 lbs or so.
Thrift store for clothes too. Baby does NOT need 100 outfits! Just enough for 3 changes a day for 5 days or so. Depends on how often you do laundry.
Baby led solids or make your own in a food processor. Baby carrier of some sort instead of a stroller. Make sure it is an ergonomic carrier. No baby Bjorn or most infantino carriers. These can cause hip problems in baby.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN