Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Chores

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 17 Replies

Did you or are you planning on giving your kids chores?How much do you pay them?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM

My kids all have their own chores and we don't pay them. That's part of being a family. I don't get paid for feeding them and they don't get paid for feeding the dog. Now if they want to earn extra money I have extra things that they can do that are outside of normal chores.

momofourmonkeys
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM

My kids have chores, we "delegate" as we sit fit.  We don't pay them as it's just contributing to the functionality of the household.  Mainly though, it's just making beds, emptying dishwasher, folding laundry (sometimes) and clearing their dishes off of the table.  We're TRYING to teach them how to be responsible.  Not always successful, but some of it is to the point where I don't really have to remind them any longer.

erikays
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Agree with both of you ladies! I was never paid as a kid, for helping out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavensdaughter
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I give my 13 year old $2 per hour for babysitting and chores.  She chooses when, what,  and how much she does unless I need her to watch the little ones for me for some particular reason (rare).  She makes most of her money from spending time with her sisters, especially in the summer.  I think it's a good incentive for her to spend time with them.  She takes them to the park and library and long walks in the wagon or in the iwnter paints their nails and plays just dance on the wii with them.

Pink Diamonds
                                   Join us in reaching your goals and making new friends!

HisSweetheart07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM

my children have chores - the only ones they get paid for are ones that aren't their normal responsibilty. 

So cleaning their rooms, doing their laundry, making their bed, etc and so forth they don't get paid for

Feeding the dog, taking out the trash, helping with a big chore (like cleaning up the yard), etc and so forth they get paid $1 for each time - more if its a big job. For example: Ds help Dh clean the whole hillside in one day (weeds, trash, etc that has gathered and grown for YEARS) so he got $10 for it. It took over 4 hours and he ended up with poison ivy lol He deserved every penny of it! 

choaspartyof4
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM

My son has normal chores he has to do every week, make his bed, keep his room clean, give cats fresh food and water daily, clean up the playroom, ect... He gets an allowance everyweek if he does these things and we don't have to constantly remind him.

gmadiane
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We never gave the kids money for chores,they did them as part of their role in the house.

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

My kids each have a chore.I cant pay them right now but they get extra things like extra 30 mins to stay up etc

allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:43 AM

My kids always had "regular" chores like making their beds, cleaning their rooms, picking up their toys, etc.  I didn't pay them for those things, but when they wanted to earn some money, I had them help with things I really didn't always enjoy doing myself - like raking leaves, washing windows, folding and putting away laundry. 

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM

She has chores. I think it's important. She gets an allowance. She can earn extra for doing extra chores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)