Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Did you or are you planning on giving your kids chores?How much do you pay them?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Replies (11-17):
Larisa72
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM

both of mine have chores.....if they do them without reminders, they get an allowance, based on a point system....however, they haven't been doing them, so no allowance.  They tend to be better at chores when the weather is better for some reason, but we are working on it....dd is 9 and ds is 12....they want things that are more expensive than we are willing to pay, so they are starting to do more of their chores without reminders...one thing they don't get paid for is doing their laundry.  I stopped doing their clothes when I found loads that *I* had washed, dried, folded, and taken to their rooms thrown on the floor, shoved under the bed or on the floor of the closet, or piled on and around the dresser....they are now more responsible with their clothing.....

slw123
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I don't pay them for jobs that they are expected to do as members of this family.  I only pay them for jobs above and beyond, like washing or vacuuming my car.

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

My oldest was required to keep the basement clean.  If he did it without being reminded, he got an allowance.  If not, no money.  He rarely got paid.  He now lives on his own.

My younger 2 are only required to pick up their things.  My 7 yr old has lots of therapy commitments, so he doesn't have a lot of time for chores.  We feel he should be able to play in his free time.  As his therapy hours decrease, we'll consider giving him chores.  My youngest is only 4.  I think that's too young for an allowance.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

My kids (Ages 9 & 5) have chores and they can earn up to $5 a week if they do their set chores plus whatever we ask them to do or help with throughout the week.  If they don't help out, they don't get paid.  I choose to pay allowance as an opportunity to teach them about money.

They automatically split their allowance (and any other money they earn/receive) into four jars - 10% Share, 30% Spend, 30% Save 1 (for bigger items they want to buy) and 30% Save 2 (which goes to their bank savings acct each month).

They no longer ask me to buy them things - they use their Spend Money & Save 1 Money to buy what they want. 

It works great for us.  =0)

paytonleximomma
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM

My kids have chores they just dont get paid for them.  They have things they need to do and that is just how we run things in our home.

elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM
DD is 4. Her chores include cleaning her room, helping with the laundry (sorting, putting hers away), feeding the cats, helping unload the dishwasher and helping sweep the kitchen. She getsno allowance for this. When she is older(6 or 7) she will get a flat rate of $25 a month. Money will be deducted if she fails to do her chores. She will have more chores added to the list at that age. Any extra things she does will give her a quarter increase.
ShandellsBaby
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM

both of my boys has chores and they dont get paid for them. i think its important for them to have the chores and not think of it as getting paid to do it when they are apart of the family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN