Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

What bank do you use-piog

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM
  • 18 Replies

To make a long story short every week dh and I each get a set amount of money to spend however we want that doesn't affect the budget or savings account.

He has been spending his this whole time (which is his right) and I save (most of) mine. The reason I say most of is because if the boys need something or he wants/needs something I'll take it out of my banks instead of going to the ATM. Well personally I'm getting kind of tired of this since I want to save that money for me and only me (call me selfish if you must). So I was thinking that I would open an account at a bank and every couple of months I would go up to the bank and make deposits. I'm thinking since right now I have about 5 piggy banks that I disperse the money in that maybe it is just too easy to have access to and a bank account that I have no ATM card to would be better (that way I would have to physically go into the bank to withdrawal money which I hate doing).

So my question is what bank do you use and how easy is it? Do you have to have a checking account associated with it or can you have just a savings account? Do you have to keep a balance every month or can you have whatever you want?

Right now we have a credit union which we love but I'm thinking a bank away from my bank would not only be better in the sense that it would be harder to get to but I wouldn't be tempted to transfer money. So what is your opinion or should I just stick to the credit union? Does anyone know how many accounts you can have with a credit union/bank?

And I have done research on this online just want a personal feel for it not so much as words on a screen but a personal touch so to speak. The banks near me are 5/3,Chase, and US Bank.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I use a credit union. I have set up different accounts there that are hnads off! One is strictly for insurance & taxes. Even if I wanted to withdraw money from it I have to actually go there and request the money.

If you want to keep the money for yourself then you are going to have to learn how to say no. You have made it all to easy for dh to spend his money and then come to you for anything else he wants. If the boys are needing something then that should be budgeted already unless it's something unexpected. It shouldn't be that they need shoes and you have nothing budgeted for them but it could be you just bought them shoes and the soles tore out before the money was available again to buy another pair.

erikays
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
We use Wells Fargo, been with them for 6 yrs, no problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisSweetheart07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM

ours is a local bank - I've been with them since I was 13yrs old. 

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM

We have a local bank, too. I love them. 

BeachLifeMama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Navy Federal and TD bank but I really like using Navy Federal though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM

We use Chase

AleaKat
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM
We kept navy Federal credit union from when hubby was in the navy. They are fantastic!

We also have a local credit union here in NC since there aren't any navy Feds around here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM
We use credit unions. I would l
907PickleMom
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM
We use credit unions. I would look for a credit union separate from your regular one and open a savings account there.
Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Quoting 907PickleMom:

We use credit unions. I would look for a credit union separate from your regular one and open a savings account there.

The only credit union around here is the one we already are at. Don't even think there is another one close to us. Thought about going to another town but I think that would actually be a waste of gas.

After doing some more research I think I'm going to just stick with my bank (credit union) we already have and just tell them not to give me an ATM card.

Thank you for your answer.

Thank you for everyone who answere. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)