Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice...long story...

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 21 Replies

Hello all.  I haven't been on for a long, long time.  I've been in a small village in the Copper Canyons of Mexico working as a caregiver instructor for the Tarahumara Indians for the last six months.  I purchased a fixer upper home in March of last year and when the opportunity to go to Mexico came up I had a couple that have been friends for about 20 years come and stay in my home.  They were down on their luck and needed a place to live and I needed someone to take care of the home for me.  They both received enough in food stamps and unemployment to manage utilities and groceries and I would send them the money to make my mortgage payment.  I left in mid-July and returned a week ago.  When I returned they had already been gone for about a week.  Their phone numbers don't work anymore and no one knows where they are.  I spoke to them by my home phone to let them know I was returning.  The house is in great shape, clean, neat, nothing is missing, utilities are all current.  The only problem is that they never made my mortgage payments!  I know, stupid me!  Every time I talked to them everything was fine and I never asked them for receipts.  Saturday morning I received a five day notice to vacate and I have been frantic ever since.  I managed to sent the mortgage company $1500.00 in late fees but they want the $3000.00 worth of mortgage payments NOW!  My income tax return will cover that but there is no way to get that for another couple of weeks!  The federal government doesn't even start processing returns until the end of January.  Income tax refund loans, as far as I have been able to find out, max out at $1000.00 and carry about 200% interest.  The mortgage company is adamant about not waiting for their money and they don't even want to hear about what happened and I can't blame them.  Does anyone have any advice for me?  Does anyone know of a way to get some kind of a loan on my refund quick.  I don't have anyone I can borrow from, already contacted my bank and they don't even want to talk about it.  I am so stressed at the thought of losing my home.  Everything I have is tied up in this house. 

Ramona   

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I am appalled after reading this....I have no advice, but will keep you in prayer.....just goes to show, you cant trust anyone.
Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

So they pocketed all that money?

Did you have a contract made up? If so I would hire a detective and find them and sue them.

Seasal
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Call your local police and see if they can do something to press charges on the theifs. Unless the sheriff shows up to force you to leave just dont move out. Just watch they dont change the locks if you go out. Also talk to a bankruptcy lawyer. If you file bankruptcy the bank has to go through the courts so they might not be able to kick you out. Hope it works out ok.
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I agree with this. I also don't know who you have your mortgage through, but sometimes they'll listen to outside people. There've been some who have had good luck with making petitions and getting signatures for the bank to listen to you. 

Quoting Seasal:

Call your local police and see if they can do something to press charges on the theifs. Unless the sheriff shows up to force you to leave just dont move out. Just watch they dont change the locks if you go out. Also talk to a bankruptcy lawyer. If you file bankruptcy the bank has to go through the courts so they might not be able to kick you out. Hope it works out ok.

HisSweetheart07
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Quoting QuiltLover:

I am appalled after reading this....I have no advice, but will keep you in prayer.....just goes to show, you cant trust anyone.

rammar
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM

No contract.  Just friends of 20 years that I trusted.  I am assuming they pocketed the $3000.00 and used it to pay utilities and buy groceries. Like I said, the house was in good shape, better than when I left it.  Just no mortgage payments made.

Ramona   

Queen_Bree
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:56 PM

H&R Block offers a pretax kind of loan based on your projected refund. I actually saw that ad today while I was parked near and H&R Block office. I hope that can help you. I will pray for you. I wish you the best.

cjsmom1
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Do you have proof you sent them money? Without a written contract I'm not sure what all you can do. Have you went to the bank and tried to speak to a manager? Do you have proof you were gone for so long? I would suggest showing the bank you were away and try to get them to wait a few weeks for your tax refund.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Hey Ramona, could you please fix your siggy, there's a lot of blank space between your name and the bottom of the screen.

907PickleMom
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)