Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

I feel validated...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

I took the kids to Tysons Corner this past weekend for a little shopping trip.

• My daughter, age 8, bought the American Girl of the Year, Saige, a mini doll and 2 doll stands for a total of $134.
  • My son, age 5, bought a 930 piece Lego Set for $115.

They each spent their own money that they have saved since we started our jar system last summer.

In addition to this:

• My children spend their own money at book fairs and stores (including Amazon for their Kindles) if they see something they want.
  • My children have donated their own money to several different charities of their choice including each other's fundraisers AND church.
  • Each month my children make a trip to the bank and deposit money into their 'real' Savings Account.

Growing up, my parents never taught me about money and I realized last year that I wanted my kids to learn at an early age the importance of saving and understanding how much 'things' cost so I started a 4 Jar Saving System.

My Mom, Husband and In Laws all 'poo poo'd' my jar system when I started it.  The grandparents had even told me they would rather give my children toys than money simply because I don't let them just 'spend it on whatever they want'.  (Actually, their Spend Jar does allow them to do that, it's just a smaller % of what they actually earn or receive as a gift.)

Since Christmas I noticed the others have started to come around to my pleas of 'no more random toys' but after our trip this past weekend, all four of them have told me how impressed they are with the kids and their own excitement over these accomplishments and that they now see this 'jar thing' really works.

dancing

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
HisSweetheart07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this

A) Totally read your title as "I feel violated" 

B) Good for you for sticking to your idea! :)

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

AWESOME! 

momofsixangels
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a fun day!

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Mom is always right...love your idea...Spinning and twirling in happy dance for you!,,,,,
gmadiane
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

cool

allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome!

SlightlyPerfect
Don't let people fool you. Everything they do is by design.
Today at 8:17 AM
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Love love love this! Right now we have a piggy bank for DD, who is 4, but we should definitely start a jar system!

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN