Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

My kids play with money

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 8 Replies

My kids like playing with money, and sometimes they lose it because they play with it so much.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
HisSweetheart07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

ok?

My children love coins. They keep a container and put change it as they "steal" it from our night stands in the mornings. (We leave it out for them, but they think they're sneaking it) then randomly you'll see DD with her purse and hear her change or DS sitting on his floor sorting his change by type and by value. Money is a good learning tool.

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

My coins dont play with it but they leave their change all over the house

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

No real reason for this post. But sometimes it just drives me nuts when they lose it. 

gmadiane
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I think most kids like to play with it, I know my grandkids do

erikays
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Buy some fake play money :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

IKR, I need to buy more. All I have are play dollar bills, but even the 10-year old prefers change. Right now I set up a community jar with pennies that the kids can play with. I just don't want them playing with their allowance money, especially with their tendancy to lose it. The consequence of losing their save or share money is that they have to use their spend money to replace it, but I'd rather not have that happen.

Quoting erikays:

Buy some fake play money :)

paris2lmp
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM

My kids don't play so much anymore, but they always want to count it.  My youngest has a real knack for spotting change on the ground so he ends up with quite a bit.  The general rule at our house is that if it is on the floor, then it is fair game.  If its on a table, stand, or other surface than it belongs to someone and it would be wrong to take it without permission.  This teaches them that leaving the money laying around carelessly means you might not get it back!  I don't keep track of their money for them either.  They both know that if they want a certain toy (and don't want to wait for a birthday or christmas) then they will have to save money and buy it themselves.  They don't want to lose that precious change, because they usually have a goal they are saving for!  My 6 yo has bought $50 toys before with his own money.  My 8 yo just bought himself the skateboard hes been wanting for 2 yrs. (I also made him purchase a helmet to go with it :)) I think it makes them value it more too.

allyn9
by Carey on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I remember those days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN