Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pets

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 21 Replies

Where do you get your pets?Shelter,pet store,paper?How much would be to much to pay for a little fur ball?

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyagain39
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM

all except for our horses are rescue animals, from shelters. 4 of our 5 horses were bought for 100$ or less from owners that couldn't/wouldn't take care of them anymore. the most i paid for a horse was 700$, that included him being gelded and 2 months board. the best horse i had i got for free. they couldn't use her for endurance because of an injury. 

BipolarMom09
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM

We rescued our cat through a friend, got our pit bull (who got sick and had to be put to sleep :( from a parking lot and got papers for her, got our spaniel/lab mix from the back of a WalMart parking lot for $50, and our toy poodle from breeders selling on the side of the road near WalMart, haha...he was $100 I think and came with papers. Loooove my furr-babies!!

mammapav
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I have a girl dog that is part Maltese and part Silken Terrier ( she look like the Maltese ). She was a gift to me  and my Husband before my Son left for Boot Camp 4 years ago. I think He paid a couple hundred for her. Before we got her I would have said $20.00 is too much  but now that we have her I say my Son got a Bargain !!!

HisSweetheart07
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Brew is our 13yr old blue murle pit bull. He was my husband's before we met but he recused him from an unloving home when he (Brew) was about 1yr old. Paid Zip for him. {aside from vet bills for getting him checked and uptodate on shots}

Snuggles is our 10yr old mixed mutt lol She's got mini collie, jack russel, and other breeds in her. She was rescuded at 8 weeks. Dh's sister found her under the steps of a neighbors house and took her. *fast forward six years* Dh's sister has to move into a place that doesn't allow pets so she has their mother watch Snuggles. *fast forward a year* Dh's parent's have to move into a place that doesn't allow pets so we got Snuggles & their other dog... they took their other dog back but didn't want Snuggles so we kept her... 

Paparazzi5bling
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM

we got our dog from a breeder, one of our cats f rom a friends cat who had kittens, another cat from craigslist, ordered our turtles from turtleshack.com and our fish from a petstore.

elizabooks
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Humane society and rescue groups. The last pet we adopted was 8 years ago ( all are over 12 years now) and we paid $70. This included all shots, flea treatment and health check up.
We spend $500 a year on vet bills, but we currently have 5 old pets, so that is reasonable.
paris2lmp
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I have never "paid" for a pet.  Ever.  They usually have found us.  I'm not sure what, if anything, my husband paid for our dog.  He got her when we were in high school and at the time all I knew was that he had got a puppy!  My kids want pets, but I am not anxious for getting any more animals.  I would look in the FREE section on Craigs list, or ask around.  There is ALWAYS someone somewhere wanting to get rid of unwanted puppies, kittens etc.  In fact at the moment our neighbors are giving away kittens!  We have also picked up strays and drop offs or occasionally we have adopted "rescued animals" at various points in the past.

kjbugsmom1517
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this
We got our one year old dog when a friend of ours had puppies for a hundred bucks. I cant fathom the people who pay thousands or even a few hundred on an animal. We were not willing to pay those prices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikays
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM
We always rescued ours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Our dog came from the animal shelter because we really wanted a Beagle for the kids and is a great outdoor dog. Our 3 cats came from my sister. Her's got outside once and that's all it took. The other cats & dogs that run around don't stand any chance. There's always one farmer or another that ends up shooting them because they go wild and start chasing the livestock. When will people learn that country folk do NOT want the puppy that you got your kids for Christmas and now is big as a mini horse and you can no longer afford to feed so you dump it off at a farm just "knowing" that they'll love the dog (yours is so loveable) but you have your own and can't afford or even want another dog and don't know if it's vicious or not.

Sorry I got on my band wagon. DH had to kill some cats this weekend that looked really skraggly and sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)