Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Ladies-

I stress about bills constantly. I am tight every month. I work a full time job and a part time job to support my family. My hubby stays home with our two children to save money on daycare costs. (Due to background and economy, I am the higher paid out of the two of us).

Any ideas on how to cut costs, and increase some income?

I'll be more than happy to give some details if need be. I want to not have to stress daily about bills, i'd like to slowly start putting some money back for emergencies or vacations and so on.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Replies (11-16):
consumerswin
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Hey, I am there with you.

My Husband is a Singer\Songwriter has been a stay at home Dad for 16 years and I have 2 Original startups , one in the Film Industry the other in the Fashion Industry and just started a third Business with him,  to leverage my time. Kids started College , so I want to return home and work with him.

You know, we should talk. I'd gladly show you what we are building - it's geared to Telecommuting and it's very straight forward, not one of the typical, MLM Distributer, pay per click, deals out there.  And we are looking for Individuals , or families who are familiar with the Co-Operative movement or  at least  the Caring Values of why Co-Operatives exist.

Let me know if you want to talk and I'll send you our Virtual office number. Are you in the US? and EST?

Chloe

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Having a written budget is our biggest money saver. Seeing where it all goes helps keeps us on track. We also use Dave Ramseys envelope system so money for specific things isn't sitting In the bank asking me to spend it. When the bill comes due, we grab the envelope with the cash in It and pay the bill. We only do this for things we pay in person like getting our propane tanks filled or vehicle maintenance, dr office copays, clothing for the growing kids, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Oooh you should google Dave Ramsey and take his Financial Peace University classes, they're really helpful!

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM

For one month, write dowm every place your money goes, including small cash purchases. Then you can look and see where you think you can cut down. Also plan your meals. That way no stress right before dinner. I like to double cook, It only takes a few more minutes to make a double batch of chili or meatloaf or casseroles. Eat half and freeze the rest for another meal.

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I agree with mem82 that without more info, it is hard to give anything but basic advise.  Consider this:  If you talked to your parents, they would probably tell you they did not have cable tv or cell phones or high speed internet when they were growing up and managed just fine.  I know how much our costs are for those things each month and know if they were something we did NOT have I could add about $500 to savings each month.  

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Since it almost time for tax returns, if you get one....figure your TOTAL monthly bills and start a budget with that amount, adding every week or payday....You will start with the amount of money you need, and then adding that amount each payday. EX...if your mortgage is $400 a month, it will already be there for thenstart up, then add the $100 each week, it will be there the next month. The envelope system works the best....it makes you realize you may need every penny you are now spending( not saying YOU are) when it actually needs to be saved for a bill later on...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN