Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Meat shopping....

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:31 AM
  • 20 Replies

Okay, I don't know about the rest of you but I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate buying meats now!! The prices on everything are ridiculous!!!! :( For the past year, I have been stocking up on the chicken leg quarters when they are really cheap and for each package I get about 8-10 leg quarters so that is 2-3 meals right there! Anyhow, I looove pork tenderloin and ground chuck but I refuse to buy hamburger that is over $3/lb!! Soo, I wait for a great sale. Well, last year a local grocery store had ground chuck for $1.98/lb....I grabbed 25lbs! Now, I wish I had grabbed twice that because we are out and have been for months :( I am waiting for another great meat sale so I can stock up our deep freeze again because after my husband was out of work for 3 months, our stockpile is bare :(

Do you have a deep freezer? Do you shop meat sales, if so, how often and how much do you stock up on?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM

We don't have a deep freezer,I do however love a good sale on meat and tend to bulk buy when there is a sale going on.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a deep freezer and it is stocked to the brim with pork, beef & chicken. What you might consider doing is go to a butcher shop and see if they will sell you a 1/2 beef or 1/2 hog and what the cost may be. Often times this is 1/2 the price of a regular grocery store.

We raise ours which is why we have so much meat and just finished butchering everything.

One other thing if you know any farmers that butcher theirselves is to ask if they would sell to you in exchange for the cost and helping cut up theirs & yours. My dad has done this before when he had an extra 1/4.

HisSweetheart07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM

We have a deep freezer :) It's normally full of freezer meals and quick meals, frozen veggies and fruits, etc. 

We haven't stocked up in the past. We've been talking about buying from local farms and buying a whole cow or half cow, whole pig, etc (I got that idea from one of the ladies in this group!) but I doubt it will happen this year lol I want to get our basement up to date and buy at least two more freezers to hold everything. 

Mommyagain39
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

meat is way over the top.  we are thinking about sticking a couple of calfs in the pasture w/ our horses for meat in the fall. last year we tried chicks, they were half grown when a fox or something got them. pigs are too hard to keep so i will have to buy pork products, unless we can get w/ the 4h club. alot of times kids show 2 pigs for the season then in the fall they send them to slaughter you pay for  processing of  both and you get a whole pig for about 150$. my goal this year is to grow all my own veggies, have 5-10 laying hens, atleast 1 cow, and 1 pig, and then ofcourse a couple of deer. that would make shopping a lot less frustrating. plus you know what your food consists of.

BipolarMom09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Thanks guys for the tips!! :)

SweetLuci
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I have an extra freezer and I stock up on meats on sale. When turkey was on sale at Christmas, I bought three. I just roasted one yesterday. 16 lb turkey yield is about 10 lbs usable meat, plus I make stock for soup from the bones. It ends up being less than $1.00 a lb.  I portion it into meal size packages for later meals.  I also buy large cuts of pork and beef and roast them, And do the same. Saves a lot of time cooking when all you have to do is reach in the freezer and get out a package of pre-cooked meat that is then used in making a meal. Most of us eat too much meat. Plus, I've cut down on the amount of meat we eat, and put in more vegetables. We also eat a lot of beans. That saves a lot of money.

3mom627
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I wish my family would cut down on the meat, but my husband is an old-fashioned meat and potatoes type guy. We have talked about buying a deep freezer, just haven't done it yet. We spend way too much money on groceries period.

3MOM627

have a nice day

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:09 AM

We have a deep freezer and stock up on meats when its b1g1f

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know how we ever survived without our deep freezer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2cuteboys
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:57 AM

We buy half a cow every year and it all goes into our stand up deep freeze.  DH also hunts and fishes so we have a lot of deer and fish.. even frog legs(yuck!) LOL  The only meat we buy is chicken and pork.  Which I buy at Sam's Club and freeze.  Dh will smoke a few pork butts and we freeze it all to eat later.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)