Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Okay, I don't know about the rest of you but I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate buying meats now!! The prices on everything are ridiculous!!!! :( For the past year, I have been stocking up on the chicken leg quarters when they are really cheap and for each package I get about 8-10 leg quarters so that is 2-3 meals right there! Anyhow, I looove pork tenderloin and ground chuck but I refuse to buy hamburger that is over $3/lb!! Soo, I wait for a great sale. Well, last year a local grocery store had ground chuck for $1.98/lb....I grabbed 25lbs! Now, I wish I had grabbed twice that because we are out and have been for months :( I am waiting for another great meat sale so I can stock up our deep freeze again because after my husband was out of work for 3 months, our stockpile is bare :(

Do you have a deep freezer? Do you shop meat sales, if so, how often and how much do you stock up on?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
momof2cuteboys
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Oh and buying half a cow is way cheaper and better tasting than anything I've found at the store.  We paid $2.68/pound last year in October.  We don't get brisket or roasts because I can't stand them so those are all ground up into hamburger.  Oh ya and it is all very lean.

BipolarMom09
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Where do I begin to find some place to buy half a cow from? I'm not sure where might do that around here. We are in WV. I think that would be great to do for our family, I just am at a loss on where to go for it......also, typically how much does half a cow cost and is it more to have it ground up and seperated into different types, like roasts and things?

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Oh and buying half a cow is way cheaper and better tasting than anything I've found at the store.  We paid $2.68/pound last year in October.  We don't get brisket or roasts because I can't stand them so those are all ground up into hamburger.  Oh ya and it is all very lean.

momof2cuteboys
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Well in Kansas there are specialty meat shops.  You can do all your meat shopping with them instead of Walmart..etc  Typically their cuts are higher quality and if you go in for just a pound or two of meat it is pricey but they normally have specials if you buy a 1/4 of a cow, 1/2 of a cow, or a whole cow.  They know us well enough... but typically it comes with minute steak, t-bones, ribeyes, sirloin, we always get some stew meat, and then the rest we have ground up.  But typically you would get brisket and roast.  Our last half was a big half and cost us $1100.  Typically it is right around $990-1000... but like I said ours this year was a bit bigger than normal.  

Quoting BipolarMom09:

Where do I begin to find some place to buy half a cow from? I'm not sure where might do that around here. We are in WV. I think that would be great to do for our family, I just am at a loss on where to go for it......also, typically how much does half a cow cost and is it more to have it ground up and seperated into different types, like roasts and things?

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Albertsons always has the best sales on meat! Last month I got two beef roasts, three packs of steaks (with three steaks each in a pack), two packs of chicken breasts, a pork tenderloine, and cubed stew meat for under $70!

momofsixangels
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Albertsons always has the best sales on meat! Last month I got two beef roasts, three packs of steaks (with three steaks each in a pack), two packs of chicken breasts, a pork tenderloine, and cubed stew meat for under $70!

I loved shopping there but ours closed down.They had great deals all the time

BipolarMom09
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Never heard of it before, we don't have one here :(

Quoting flowerfunleah:

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:45 AM

i have a deep freezer and love it.  Like you, I try to stockpile when the deals are good ones.  

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

We have a deep freezer.  We buy 1/2 cow directly from the farmer.  My husband also hunts, so we get venison once a year from that.  I only buy chicken and occasional pork.

MissyB1011
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I am blessed that my Grandpap gives us a deer every year. We rarely have to buy ground meat or steaks for that reason. If we do buy ground meat, I try to get ground turkey when it's on sale. I do stock up on chicken and pork when it's on sale.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I have a deep freezer. We just bought 10 packages of chicken quarters. $0.77 a pound. Each package cost me between $3-3.50. We also bought some boxes of steaks and pork chops from a whole saler. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)