Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Does anyone do it?I have always wanted to.My Mom always did

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Replies (11-18):
mammapav
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

My grandmother did but I was so young and they moved to Florida. She is gone now but she was a great cook. She never measure anything so most of her recipes went with her. I have always wanted to do some canning but I have been a little afraid to do it.  I would spend all the money for the stuff and mess it up or someone would sick because I did not do it right.

paris2lmp
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I canned for the first time last summer!  All we did was cherries, cherry jam and plum jam, but they were sooo yummy!  I want to do more this year, and plan on starting a garden.   It wasn't that hard, but pretty labor intensive, AND HOT! 

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Is it expensive?Do you grow your own to can or buy the fruits,etc at the store?I know my Mom had a garden and cherry tree.

Seasal
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2years ago we had a lot of cucumbers and made pickles. We never canned cause they were so good we ate them too fast. Last year we added tomato sauce & relish. OMG was it good!! We bought the tomatoes in New Jersey.
This year were going to try and grow more peppers to can. Canning was easier than I though it would be but it did make the kitchen real hot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I do not.  I freeze any produce we don't use right away.

MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM
If I could get my gardening down pat, I would like to try canning. Maybe in another year or two.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I've never learned how. My mom and neither of my grandmothers ever did it either.

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Pickles only, about every 2 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN