Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Shop generic in certain categories:

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 22 Replies

According to Discovery Channel's TLC, store-brand products thought to be the same as their pricier name-brand cousins include milk, flour, sugar, staple cereals, baby formula, bottled water, salt, bleach, aluminum foil, antacids, and pain relievers. Grab store-brand staples for these items. Doing so at the grocery store each week is a painless way to free up some cash.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I buy some things that are store brand but there are some things I just won't buy unless it's the good stuff.

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I can usually get brand name for cheaper using coupons but otherwise I will get store brand

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I buy milk, bottled water, and aluminum foil in the store brand, from this list.  The other items I don't buy at all.  (I use almond and coconut flour which isn't available in store brand.)  Our store also has good TP.

Queen_Bree
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I buy store brand butter, milk, eggs, cheese, half and half, whipping cream, flour,sugar, salt. olive oil, peanut butter and jelly, mayonaise, pickles, and olives,cold cereals, water and juice. 

MichelleK41
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Yep this is what we do here.

natesmom1228
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I have no problem buying store brands for some things. There are a couple things that have to be name brand.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I have found this not to be true for bleach and cereal. Good to know about pain relievers- brand names are so expensive.  Thank you for the post.

sukainah
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM

There are a lot of things I will buy that are generic.  Some I just won't

907PickleMom
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I will try all generics at least 1 time. I already buy staples and most OTC meds generic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN