Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

What must you buy name brand?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 28 Replies
as another post stated most of us by store brands to save money. But what items will you not buy on the cheap? Why?
For me the list contains instant and dry milk (the taste is off), sanitary pads ( they rip ), mayonnaise (cannot find a store brand that does not include soy) and olive oil ( I can taste the difference in the different presses, when they change the type of olive and if it was ripe/overripe)
What about you?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I dont think anything.  Well, peanut butter is one and sometimes bread.

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I bare very little processed food, so nothing.

sukainah
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Cheese, sanitary products

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Soda is a biggie. Also Jim is big on Charmin.

907PickleMom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Toothpaste.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Many things since store brands of things (esp the WalMart store brand) will have wheat in them while the name brand won't.  I'm Celiac so much eat gluten free.

For example, someone at MOPS told me today that she ended up using real onions & garlic in her egg bake, where she would have normally just used a spice, because the ExtraValue brand onion powder & garlic powder (WalMart store brand) had wheat in them.  Seriously?!!  Why do they need wheat?!

(I am really impressed that she looked!)

gmadiane
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

soda, coke or pepsi for me, nothing else I can think of

jalex
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Nature Valley bars.  The store brand has wheat.  I have to buy good bread for the family, Kroger brand taste like cardboard apparently.

elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Quoting GwenMB:

Many things since store brands of things (esp the WalMart store brand) will have wheat in them while the name brand won't.  I'm Celiac so much eat gluten free.

For example, someone at MOPS told me today that she ended up using real onions & garlic in her egg bake, where she would have normally just used a spice, because the ExtraValue brand onion powder & garlic powder (WalMart store brand) had wheat in them.  Seriously?!!  Why do they need wheat?!

(I am really impressed that she looked!)

Doesn't surprise me. Had to do the same thing years ago for my younger brother, but he was also allergic to corn, artificial sugars and pineapple. It is strange when you cannot even buy the "healthy, organic" foods.
Remember to check your toothpaste and shampoo labels too. You'll be amazed at where wheat shows up.
Kainalu55
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM

ketchup

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN