Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Do televisions use a lot of electricity?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM
  • 14 Replies

I ask because my teens are all now leaving their tv's on in their room all night. Our electric bill is high enough and I don't want to be mean and make them turn them off. I don't know why they need them on, but was just wondering. They all have older model tv's nothing very new.

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Not really very much, about 2 cents an hour, but it's not really good for them to leave them on, supposedly a person doesn't really rest well if there is noise or light  in the background.

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Their sleep will not be good with the TV on.  The flickering lights will interrupt their sleep.

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

This is from SavingElectricity.com:

Most TV's use about 80 to 400 watts, depending on the size and technology. Using asample cost of 15ยข per kilowatt-hour and five hours of viewing a day, that's $1.83 to $9.13/mo. ($22 to $110 per year).  Below you'll find energy usage information for different models.

So if that is for 5 hours a day and your kids have multiple tvs on all night every night (don't know how many tvs are on), multilply your number of kids times that and also adjust for hours the tvs are on.  If you have 2 kids and each have a tv on an average of 10 hours, then with 2 kids you are looking at about 8 times the cost listed above (2 kids times 4 times the 5 hour average) or $14.64 to $73.04 a month extra.  

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I know when the boys left their TV on our electricity bill would shoot up. 

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:38 AM

The things that use the most electricity are things that produce heat. If you have electric heat and air conditioning, adjusting the temperature just a few degrees can save a lot. Especially if you aren't at home.

momofsixangels
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I am guilty of this.I cant seem to fall asleep w/o it being on

kjbugsmom1517
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM
U dont want to be mean and make them turn it off? Really? Im pretty sure you are the parent. Rules of the house. Or they can get jobs to pay for the extra cost. Not to mention a tv interrupts sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM
There needs to be an end to everything...even watching tv..you arent being mean you are parenting....get ahold of what YOU want in your home, they can adjust or get a job, no matter how little the cost. These kind of things make life outside of Mom And Dads harder when they leave.
flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I'm not sure! Why don't they try setting the automatic shut off sleep timer?

3mom627
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Quoting flowerfunleah:

I'm not sure! Why don't they try setting the automatic shut off sleep timer?

I am not sure if they all have one, but I think one of them does. Thanks.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)