Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Do you buy locally organic foods?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, what fruits and vegetables do you buy? Do you feel it's worth the extra price?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Replies (11-19):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I buy from an Amish store if I don't have it in my own garden, but that's only during growing season...which isn't long here in Michigan.  Otherwise I don't usually buy organic.

mrswillie
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM

We buy local many times. We live in a farming area, so the price is not much more.

slw123
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I try to.  We use a local fruit/veggie stand.  They put on the signs where to produce comes from.  It's actually cheaper to buy when it's from a local farmer than the imported stuff.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I try to buy local. Even if it's organic, if it's been shipped a long way, it doesn't taste very good.

Quoting slw123:

I try to.  We use a local fruit/veggie stand.  They put on the signs where to produce comes from.  It's actually cheaper to buy when it's from a local farmer than the imported stuff.

MandMsWorld
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Farmer's market all summer long. 

Yes, the drive time (and gas) is definately worth the extra - I see friends there, and the produce is fresher, so it lasts longer.   Important when living in a high humidity state.   And there is the seafood guy ..... his prices aren't cheaper - but his product is superior!   He's even willing to meet out of season when you need something really fresh!

LOswald0314
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Me too.

Quoting MissyB1011:

I love to hit the local farmers' markets. I tend to go by the skin/no skin. If I can peel a skin off, I don't buy organic. Things that we eat the skin usually are organic.

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM

We try!

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM

We're not too far from some local farms.

MamaMandee
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Same here

Quoting flowerfunleah:

We don't live too far from a lot of farms so we buy when we can get out there!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement