Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wondering how many others in the group like to file their taxes early to get it out of the way?  Or do you wait until the very last minute?

Jenn  

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (21-30):
ausomezombie2.0
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Yup already filed...we just do it how or schedules fit this year we were able to get it done
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I just checked the IRS website and it says

"We have received your tax return and it is being processed.

You should get your refund within 21 days from the date we received your tax return.

Please check here or use our free mobile app, IRS2Go, to check on your refund status."

So now I am confused  :0(
Quoting conniejo75:

No IRS stopped accepting them. It's on their website... www.irs.gov ... it says they will BEGIN accepting and processing them on Feb 14th. Hoping it will only be another week and not 21 days.

Quoting Larsbug:

I filed on the 24th of Jan and had education credits...Turbo Tax states that they ahve already accepted mine...just waiting to see when I will get it back. Maybe Turbo Tax is wrong? I hope not!

Quoting conniejo75:

I filed mine but IRS delayed due to prob w/ education credits.... Mine wont even be accepted til Feb 14... hope to have mine by march.

Quoting Steph1499:

Wow that is fast.  Mine had some forms that got delayed till the 14th of Feb so hopefully I will get mine next week.  Its been accepted but not processed yet.  Im praying I get mine super fast like you.  :)

Quoting seraphimsong:

We filed last Saturday and received our refund today. So it only took one week. That's the fastest we have ever gotten it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers
lillybug222
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I filed ours last night. FED & KS & MO have all been accepted.

After paying in to KS & MO, we'll get about $900 back. It's going straight to savings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pattya925
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I just have 2 items to verify before submission and then will be filing... Wednesday by the latest.

conniejo75
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM
This was the notice on IRS website when I went to see why the delay.

IRS To Accept Returns Claiming Education Credits by Mid-February

IR-2013-10, Jan. 28, 2013WASHINGTON — As preparations continue for the Jan. 30 opening of the 2013 filing season for most taxpayers, the Internal Revenue Service announced today that processing of tax returns claiming education credits will begin by the middle of February. Taxpayers using Form 8863, Education Credits, can begin filing their tax returns after the IRS updates its processing systems. Form 8863 is used to claim two higher education credits -- the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.The IRS emphasized that the delayed start will have no impact on taxpayers claiming other education-related tax benefits, such as the tuition and fees deduction and the student loan interest deduction. People otherwise able to file and claiming these benefits can start filing Jan. 30.As it does every year, the IRS reviews and tests its systems in advance of the opening of the tax season to protect taxpayers from processing errors and refund delays. The IRS discovered during testing that programming modifications are needed to accurately process Form 8863.  Filers who are otherwise able to file but use the Form 8863 will be able to file by mid-February. No action needs to be taken by the taxpayer or their tax professional.  Typically through the mid-February period, about 3 million tax returns include Form 8863, less than a quarter of those filed during the year.The IRS remains on track to open the tax season on Jan. 30 for most taxpayers. The Jan. 30 opening includes people claiming the student loan interest deduction on the Form 1040 series or the higher education tuition or fees on Form 8917, Tuition and Fees Deduction. Forms that will be able to be filed later are listed on IRS.gov.Updated information will be posted on IRS.gov.

Quoting Larsbug:

You should get your refund within 21 days from the date we received your tax return.

Please check here or use our free mobile app, IRS2Go, to check on your refund status."

Quoting conniejo75:

No IRS stopped accepting them. It's on their website... www.irs.gov ... it says they will BEGIN accepting and processing them on Feb 14th. Hoping it will only be another week and not 21 days.

Quoting Larsbug:

I filed on the 24th of Jan and had education credits...Turbo Tax states that they ahve already accepted mine...just waiting to see when I will get it back. Maybe Turbo Tax is wrong? I hope not!

Quoting conniejo75:

I filed mine but IRS delayed due to prob w/ education credits.... Mine wont even be accepted til Feb 14... hope to have mine by march.

Quoting Steph1499:

Wow that is fast.  Mine had some forms that got delayed till the 14th of Feb so hopefully I will get mine next week.  Its been accepted but not processed yet.  Im praying I get mine super fast like you.  :)

Quoting seraphimsong:

We filed last Saturday and received our refund today. So it only took one week. That's the fastest we have ever gotten it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:39 AM
1 mom liked this
The IRS has a tracking page. I just Google "where's my refund" and it's the first kink that pops up. Type in your ssn, filing status and exact amount of your refund. The next page tells you if it's been accepted, approved and when it'll be paid out.

Quoting Larsbug:

how do you look this up?

Quoting Amy127:

I filed already and got state back. Federal should come back Wednesday according to their website.

tashraq87
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Doing it Friday- Very excited!

amy7243
by Amy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

We did get our Federal today but not the state.

Quoting amy7243:

We filed last Saturday and it says we should get them Monday :)

Larsbug
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Gotcha, thank you!

Quoting conniejo75:

This was the notice on IRS website when I went to see why the delay.

IRS To Accept Returns Claiming Education Credits by Mid-February

IR-2013-10, Jan. 28, 2013WASHINGTON — As preparations continue for the Jan. 30 opening of the 2013 filing season for most taxpayers, the Internal Revenue Service announced today that processing of tax returns claiming education credits will begin by the middle of February. Taxpayers using Form 8863, Education Credits, can begin filing their tax returns after the IRS updates its processing systems. Form 8863 is used to claim two higher education credits -- the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.The IRS emphasized that the delayed start will have no impact on taxpayers claiming other education-related tax benefits, such as the tuition and fees deduction and the student loan interest deduction. People otherwise able to file and claiming these benefits can start filing Jan. 30.As it does every year, the IRS reviews and tests its systems in advance of the opening of the tax season to protect taxpayers from processing errors and refund delays. The IRS discovered during testing that programming modifications are needed to accurately process Form 8863.  Filers who are otherwise able to file but use the Form 8863 will be able to file by mid-February. No action needs to be taken by the taxpayer or their tax professional.  Typically through the mid-February period, about 3 million tax returns include Form 8863, less than a quarter of those filed during the year.The IRS remains on track to open the tax season on Jan. 30 for most taxpayers. The Jan. 30 opening includes people claiming the student loan interest deduction on the Form 1040 series or the higher education tuition or fees on Form 8917, Tuition and Fees Deduction. Forms that will be able to be filed later are listed on IRS.gov.Updated information will be posted on IRS.gov.

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting conniejo75:

Quoting Larsbug:

Quoting conniejo75:

Quoting Steph1499:

Quoting seraphimsong:

fraujenny
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

ACK!  Doesn't that give you more anxiety?  I plan to plan, can't stand waiting until the last minute.

Quoting allyn9:

When I know I am getting money back, I file early. This year, I know I wil owe so I will file last minute. 

Jenn  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)