Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

My kids call me an expert "cheapskate" and I am proud of that title!

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM
  • 16 Replies

Hey I am what I am. I've found ways to cut back and compromise and then turn our grocery budget into the best investment that we'll probably ever have. I like having my cake and eating it. And anything that I can turn into a win win win triple threat, makes sense to me. Anyone have any other triple threat ideas?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I've done many things that are money savers.  When my kids were babies, we used cloth diapers.  I hang clothes on the line when it's warm.  I breastfed all my kids.  I did baby led weaning, which means I never bought baby food.

I really can't save much on the food budget because I insist on buying organic whenever possible and don't buy any processed foods.

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I would loooove to see how you do your grocery budget :-)

amy7243
by Amy on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I want to see too!

Quoting flowerfunleah:

momofsixangels
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM

My kids do too.I hate spending money on things I know with coupons I can get real cheap or free

Anidawehiwahya
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I am as cheap as it gets too. I will buy the best, but find it at tthe lowest cost. I will go without until I absolutely need it. I have taught my child the difference between the wants and needs of life and how to save and not spend. He is 11 1/2  and still has the same $10 bill from his bday last summer in June. I shop around for the discounts, use coupons when I can, and Aldi's is my best friend when I can get ti cheaper than cutting coupons fo the name brand. I have taught myself how to be a jack of all trades or call my dad or brothers when I need to. My SS knows that going out to dinner is a special treat, and does not happen very often now that I am in his life, and he respects me for that as now it is just that.. A Special Treat and time.. :) The church we go to teaches the kids about saving too. Our bank just recently gave us extra money just to open a second account. Will go after any free money anytime.. Glad to hear I am not the only one.. :)

consumerswin
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Quoting amy7243:

I want to see too!

Quoting flowerfunleah:

I'll do you one better. I'll send you my recording - it's a short podcast - And hey, prices in Canada are much more than in the USA so yeah, I'm a real stickler on price.

consumerswin
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Hey! I did that too! and good for you for shopping organic. We don't shop organic, but I've tweaked our Grocery budget down to the nth degree so that we are able to afford good meat,fruits and vegetables, fresh pasta's etc. Our Grocery non- consumeables used to cost us $240 a month, that would be about $180 US maybe, and I've got it down to $85 a month, get better non toxic, superior quality  , that's about $65 US.

Quoting Juniper53098:

I've done many things that are money savers.  When my kids were babies, we used cloth diapers.  I hang clothes on the line when it's warm.  I breastfed all my kids.  I did baby led weaning, which means I never bought baby food.

I really can't save much on the food budget because I insist on buying organic whenever possible and don't buy any processed foods.

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Give us some of your ideas.

consumerswin
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Well, we buy to our needs with a daily budget. My husband shops for the food groceries and is excellent when it comes to best "bang for our buck" He pays attention to grams or ounces per price - eg.900g of something for $2

as opposed to 780g of something for $2 - you get the picture.  I buy everything else, toothpaste, shampoo, cleaning products, dish soap vitamins etc. through the best product store I've come across ( private e-mail me I'll tell you all about it) All the products are super , super concentrated so that 1 tube of toothpaste for example for $3.69 lasts our family of 4, 6 weeks to 2 months. I kid you not. The prices are better than grocery store and department store brands ALL round.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Give us some of your ideas.

aneela
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

congrats to you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)