Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Saving on the gas bill?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 23 Replies

So we usually keep our home between 66-67 degrees in the winter... Always looking at ways to cut more out of our bills so when we are gone 4-5 hours or more I turn the heat off or way down to 63.  Wondering if this will save on our gas bill at all?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

IDK, but I've always been told it's cheaper to let the furnace keep the house at a constant temp than to have it reheat the house.

elasmimi
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM

this is what I've heard, too.

Quoting michiganmom116:

IDK, but I've always been told it's cheaper to let the furnace keep the house at a constant temp than to have it reheat the house.

goddess99
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I would think over time you would save money doing that.

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Around here, they recommend that you turn the heat down when you're going to be gone for a while.  We have a programmable thermostat and have left the programming alone since I've been laid off.  It goes down to 65 during the day (when I used to be at work) and back up to 72 when DH will get home from work.

JZB
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I think as long as you don't go more than 5 degrees below what your normal temp is you save
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I agree with the posters that it is cheaper to leave the thermostat at the same temp,due to  reheating the entire space when you get home.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I think that it will.  I used to hear not to do this, but the last couple years I think that has been reversed. Especially if gone for a day, for example.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Same here. We also have a programmable thermostat and have the lowest temp set for nighttime.

Quoting Juniper53098:

Around here, they recommend that you turn the heat down when you're going to be gone for a while.  We have a programmable thermostat and have left the programming alone since I've been laid off.  It goes down to 65 during the day (when I used to be at work) and back up to 72 when DH will get home from work.

slw123
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I would think it would cost more to try to warm the house back up to where you want it.  Obviously if you are going to be away for a few days, it would be cheaper to turn it off, but if you are going to be home the same day, not so much.

I would try to find the lowest temperature setting that you can live with and keep it set at that.

MandMsWorld
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM

depends on the size of your house, the amount of air you are losing, we made a couple of quick fixes and have only turned our heat on upstairs a couple of times this year...... It's never dropped below 60which with grade school age kids is my coldest, and rarely below 63.  At preschool and below, we were up around 67.

We keep the downstairs pretty cool too, unless it's a weekend when people will be here all the time - or Christmas vacation when frugal mommy is feeling generous!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN