Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Proven Ways to Beat the Winter Blues

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

Proven Ways to Beat the Winter Blues February 4, 2013

Stay positive this season with these five easy tricks.

Beat Winter Blues

With shorter days and increasingly cold weather, winter can make us feel overly tired and sluggish. Here are five easy ways to break out of that mid-season slump:

1. Soak up the rays

Get outside as much as you can during the day in the winter; go for walks on your lunch break or try to sit near a window if you work indoors. Sun helps the brain produce the happy hormone serotonin, while darkness stimulates the production of the sleepy hormone melatonin. Sunshine also delivers vitamin D, which has been shown to lift low spirits. Talk to your healthcare provider about also adding a vitamin D supplement to your daily routine if you can’t get outside as often as you’d like.

2. Watch What You Eat

Avoiding over indulging in carbohydrates and sugary delights during the winter because after the rush wears off these foods can leave you sleepy and lazy. Plus, too many of these treats may cause you to gain a few pounds, leading to lower self-esteem. Instead, try to eat plenty of fruits and veggies. And if you find it too difficult to avoid sugary foods, treat yourself with smaller portions.

3. Exercise Regularly

Stay physically and mentally sharp with regular workouts. Exercise stimulates your body’s production of endorphins, which gives you an overall feeling of well-being. And, no, you don’t need to spend huge amounts on gym memberships or fancy equipment to improve your levels of exercise. Try walking to work or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Got a few spare minutes? Squeeze in a few push-ups, squats, jumping jacks and sit-ups. You can also embrace the season by bundling up and going tobogganing with the kids or skating at the local pond.

Smart tip! It’s better to exercise a little everyday than to push yourself really hard once a week.

4. Keep Your Mind Active

Learn a new skill during the winter by joining a free class at your local community center or library. This will give you something positive to think about and get you out and socializing.

5. Plan Things to Look Forward To

Treat yourself, particularly during January and February, after the hustle bustle of the holidays has passed. While it’s great to set New Year’s resolutions, don’t forget to also plan things you’ll enjoy, like catching up with an old friend, taking in a free concert or indulging with an at-home spa day.

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kellynh
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM

TFS

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM

TFS

cara124
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I love the tip about soaking up the rays when you can... with so many gloomy days in the winter is always good to get out and soak up the Vitiam D when you can .

MichelleK41
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I agree with these and have tried them and it works. =)

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Very true, all of these!  I battle SAD every winter.

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Thnaks for sharing.

aneela
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM

i love getting some sun in winter

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Great tips!

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I'm actually ready for winter to be over with though and for summer to get here!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)