Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Painting cabinets

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am just about ready to redo my kitchen and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with painting their cabinets.

Replacing them is NOT an option. Way to much money but I'll be honest in that I hate the way they look and always have. They're kind of a bleached white stain and they show every bit of dirt which in a farm house & 3 kids is ALOT.

Is it hard to get the paint to stick to the cabinets or should I try restaining them a darker color? Then I have to think about what color. The counter tops are a hunter green so that color stays main in the kitchen. Any help is appreciated because I'd really like to keep the costs down.

I've already got the fabric to make cafe curtians. They're gingham green/white.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

You have to sand them down first to get the finish off and then prime.  If the stain used was an oil based stain, you'll probably need to prime with a special primer before you use a latex paint.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM

How well does the paint stay on after you prime & paint them? Does it chip off easily?

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I found this link on Pinterest. Picture is clicky!

Easy Steps to Painting Kitchen Cabinets

easy steps to painting kitchen cabinets

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I did this 7 years ago in my kitchen.  Sand them down a bit and use Kilz for a primer. 

e.sugarbaby
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

we did this too with our kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanity cabinets...its a lot of work.. but worth the savings of replacing them.  They have held up nicely... kilz smells strong so make sure you have good ventilation.... it works like a charm too.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I did this 7 years ago in my kitchen.  Sand them down a bit and use Kilz for a primer. 

gmadiane
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM

sorry I have honestly never painted cabinets, good luck

MistressMinerva
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

No clue. Good Luck!

4kidz916
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.  Good luck.

Quoting michiganmom116:

MichelleK41
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM

We did ours and primed them twice first, then painted them. If you're going to stain yours most def. you may need to sand them first.

mrswillie
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

If you paint them, you need to lightly sand them, then prime and finally paint.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement