Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am just about ready to redo my kitchen and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with painting their cabinets.

Replacing them is NOT an option. Way to much money but I'll be honest in that I hate the way they look and always have. They're kind of a bleached white stain and they show every bit of dirt which in a farm house & 3 kids is ALOT.

Is it hard to get the paint to stick to the cabinets or should I try restaining them a darker color? Then I have to think about what color. The counter tops are a hunter green so that color stays main in the kitchen. Any help is appreciated because I'd really like to keep the costs down.

I've already got the fabric to make cafe curtians. They're gingham green/white.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Replies (11-13):
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Thanks ladies. I don't mind the painting but the sanding will be a pain because of the trim on them.

MissyB1011
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM
If they are structurally ok, have you thought about refacing them instead of painting? Basically you order new doors and a sticky back panel to cover the outer parts of the frame and any exposed sides.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Personally I would stain rather than paint. I feel it gives it a more natural look. Paint can chip off, making it look ugly and if your wood swells in moisture, the paint will make the doors stick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)