Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

What are some ways you try to save money around your home?

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Replies (21-29):
elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I hang old quilts and blankets over the windows in the winter to cut down the heating bill.
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Turn down heat in winter turn up in summer.

Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

How I save money is by not using the dryer unless I have to , gardening and freezing or canning the food, I also make my own laundry soap and cleaners. I buy clearance for the next year Like I just got a great deal at WalMart for Valentines stuff for only 10 cents.

I shop thrift stores.

I use enegery efficent light bulbs

Turning the heat down while we are gone all day long. Re eating left overs.

Buy in Bulk

Mrs.wilcox01
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM
We use coupon and buy in bulk and dont eat out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Food:  I plan meals around what I have and only buy what I need unless I find a good deal.  I cook from scratch...we're talking from whole foods... for the most part.  I try to stay away from meals that require a small amount of an expensive ingredient unless I can use the rest of the ingredient in another meal.  We grow a garden every summer, 2000 sq. ft. of strawberries, veggies, melons along with apple and cherry trees and grape vines.  I preserve what we don't eat fresh and use those during the winter months/non-growing season.  I shop at an Amish store that has discounted prices on produce, eggs, butter, and the few canned goods I buy.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Electricity/heat:  I cook with my crockpot as much as I can...or the grill.  If I can't, I hope to use minimal cooking methods or else I'll use my oven to make multiple dishes for the same meal.  Lights are shut off during the day.  We use energy efficient light bulbs.  During the night, I make sure all computers and gaming systems are shut off and unplugged. 

For heat, we burn wood with a propane furnace as backup only.  This saves us literally thousands of dollars a year.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Clothes:  I use line drying when I can (weather allows.)  I've made my own laundry soap.  I have a huge front loading washing machine and am able to wash double the amount of clothes at a time that my top-loading machine did.  I wash using cold water for all but whites/sheets.

When buying clothes, we shop thrift stores...clearance racks...sales in that order.  I buy as needed throughout the year.  I also remake some clothes and do my own mending.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

repairs:

We do as many home repairs ourselves as possible.  We hit Habitat for Humanity's ReStore for supplies before looking on Freecycle or shopping the local stores.  I learned how to hang/mud drywall, lay vinyl flooring, put on a new roof, wallpaper and paint, replace faucets, and install new light fixtures.

We also do many of our own auto repairs unless we need special equipment to handle large parts.  Oil changes, brake pads, replacing spark plugs, etc. are all routine maintenance that are entirely doable.  We've also replaced a power window motor, a faulty instrument cluster, power antenna motor, and we're getting ready to replace a washer fluid pump.  DIY instructions from professionals are all over the internet!

CJsMommy92
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Thank you for all the wonderful replies! I am using some! I welcome many more!

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN