Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help with liquid body soap

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

So in my efforts to figure out how to make some of these things myself.. I thought I would start with an easy one.

I grated the soap chips (several of them) ... you know the rest of the soap bar that is annoying to try and use up to the very ends of it ....put some water in a pot and melted them. Put them in a gallon jug and added more water. I only filled it up about 2/3 and it seems really watery.

Plus for those that have been successful with this.... do all the shavings that you grated are they completely melted to liquid or do you have traces of bits of soap bar?

Im feeling so silly asking these basic questions but figured I needed to consult the professionals on this one!  Anything to save a buck and not waste the ends of the soap!

thanks for your insight ladies!

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
aj23
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM
When soap sits in liquid it will disolve on its own. There may be chunks at first but after a few days they are gone.
You can melt it but usually if you just break it into small pieces and drop it into the bottle and just shake it every now and add warm water as needed then it will work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM

hmm not sure but good question

MistressMinerva
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Not sure.

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I've never made liquid soap before but good luck!

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I haven't made soap like that.

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Never done this so I am no help.

Melissa823
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:28 AM

I add glycerin to the stage when you're heating it and let it sit. It helps it gel. I've not had a ton of luck making it though, so I just buy it.

mammapav
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I do not grate the soap I put 3 bars of Dove soap in a glass dish microwave for 90 sec. then I add it to the boiling pot of 6 cups of water then turn it to medium for about a 1/2 hour or till everything is dissolved. Keep an eye on it and stir occasionally. Then pour in a dish and let it cool  over night . The next day pour into  bottles. When you use the soap it is creamy and sud up very nicely.  Makes 48 oz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)