Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you? #5

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 26 Replies

Would you start your own business even if you knew it was gonna be risky at first?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM

At this point in my life, no.

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Going into business is always a risk, but the biggest mistake that people make is not having enough funds to back them, and not really understanding business practices, then lose it.  I had my own business, but I made sure I had the experience first to make it a success.

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM

What sort of business did you have? What happened to it?

Quoting SweetLuci:

Going into business is always a risk, but the biggest mistake that people make is not having enough funds to back them, and not really understanding business practices, then lose it.  I had my own business, but I made sure I had the experience first to make it a success.

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a restaurant and catering business. I owned it for 18 years then sold it.
Quoting flowerfunleah:

What sort of business did you have? What happened to it?

Quoting SweetLuci:

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM
I had my own candle making business...way before it was on every corner...was very successful...I not only made and sold the candles, I hand painted crocks, etc before I filled with the candles....it was so much fun..doing the shows at craft festivals and I sold them in booths at craft malls....I finally stopped when it was just too much for me to go it alone...I agree with you need the backup financing...you must have ready cash on hand....
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Wanted to add an OMG incident...when I closed my business, one of the craft malls, they loved them, and was much disappointed in me taking out the products....they wished me luck, thanked me, if you ever change your mind kind of thing.....well, my inventory. Was not coming out right and I had to take a loss on some of the bigger selling items...I just couldnt figure it out, I was a tax consultant for years so being stumped was saying the least....chalk it up as a miscount and just go on about the business.....well, a couple months later, we were driving past the craft mall and I wanted to go in and browse, maybe buying a few things...can you imagine my surprise when I walked in and the owners of the place were burning my candle crocks on the counter....oh, yeah, they had stolen some of my candles before I got there to clean out my booth.....I just walked out...thieves.
MistressMinerva
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

At this point in my life No

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM

If I had something I was passionate about then I would consider my own business.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM

If I could afford the start up cost yes.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Nope. I wouldn't want to do the book keeping. My dh does storage units on the side and it's enough of a hassle to keep up with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)