Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Do you? #2

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

Do you own or rent your home? What do you think the benefits are to either of those.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Own.  Benefits:  I can make any redecorating/remodeling/energy efficient changes that I want  without having to get permission, no one can kick me out if I can't make a payment.

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I own my home. Big tax break when you have a mortgage. Mine is now paid off. It's great to have the asset.

MistressMinerva
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Own. I can do whatever I like to it.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Own - tax write off and hopefully, you eventually pay it off

Jessica45
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Both.
My FIL passed away almost 5 years ago. MIL couldn't pay the bills and was going to lose the home she had lived in for almost 30 years. So DH and I redid and finished the basement into a 2 bedroom apartment. We moved into the apartment with our 2 girls and took over ALL the bills, mortage, utilities, everything. However we let MIL keep everything. Well MIL is a Crazy negative psycho and I can't deal with her anymore. I've tried so hard with her and I just can't anymore. We've cared for physically, emotionally, financially and she appreciates nothing. Plus this place is just too small for us. Our girls are growing and we need more room. So we just had MIL put the house on the market. She's not happy but we want our own house now. If we just move the house will be foreclosed on so we told her we'll stay till she sells.
Oh and before anyone asks, she lives in the entire house upstairs alone. 3 bedrooms, kitchen, den, livin room, dining room. Plus she has a big laundry room in the basement and the full attic. She won't let me put even a box in the attic. We just have no room. I need some storage space and closets. I feel like everything is on top of me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

We own. I pay on it every month and in the end it is mine. Every creak, leak, grass cutting, etc is mine. I get to decide if I want to paint the house neon pink. I get to have what ever animals we want on our land. No landlord telling me I can't do something and then never bothering to fix things when they are broke.

The tax break is great right now but honestly I'd rather have the house paid off then have the tax break. It would be a bigger savings. I love being able to plant flowers and trees. We even have one that is a "grandchild" to my grandparents old farm. We got it when our one grandson was just 1 when he came to live with us. He's now 6 and the tree is reaching to the sky!

AmeliasMommy206
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I currently rent and the one nice thing about it is that if something goes wrong, someone else has to fix it. However, in the long run the fact that I will pay all this money and have nothing to show for it is why I am working on buying as we speak!

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

benefits: Tax credits for mortgage and interest, no jerks living underneath you, or on the other side of a wall, or above you, more space.

soleikitty
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:50 AM

rent if I was smart would have rented an apartment. I can never own a home now and now i woudn't want to. 

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Rent but are going to.be trying to buy one soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)