Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

52 Week Money Saving Challenge Check In (Week 9)

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM
  • 21 Replies

Hello Friends!

It is Week 9 and you should have saved at least $45 by the end of this week...

Check in and let us know how you are doing and...

If you were given an extra $100 today...what would you do with it?

Keep up the great work - even if you are a little behind, don't get discouraged...every little bit saved is a GREAT thing! Have a fabulous weekend! ♥

http://www.52weekmoneychallenge.net/

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Hi All!

I don't have my list in front of me but I think I am up to $303 saved (after the 1st 3 or 4 weeks I started saving from the last part of the year as I happen to have a bit of cash flowing in these days).

If I was given an extra $100 I would probably 'hoard' it for a while and eventually spend most if not all on the kids.  They are always in need of shoes or clothes...no matter how much I ask them, they just won't stop growing.  LOL

Have a great weekend!

sugapie0305
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm still in it! Woohoo!

So in my savings account I have $477.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm down from where I was. DH needed some cash before he left for work so we raided it. It WILL be put back in today when he gets paid.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM
AWESOME!!!!!

Quoting sugapie0305:

I'm still in it! Woohoo!

So in my savings account I have $477.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Did you make him sign an IOU and seal it with a drop of his blood? Ha Ha! Just kidding! sort of ;-)

Quoting baconbits:

I'm down from where I was. DH needed some cash before he left for work so we raided it. It WILL be put back in today when he gets paid.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larisa72
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Checking in...doing ok with staying on track....helps that there are people who can't do basic sewing and bring me simple things to repair or stitch for them (like popped seams or attaching a patch to a jacket)....it's not a lot of extra $$ but some days it's enough to make it a little better......

To answer the question.....if I were given an extra $100 today.....well, the furlough looks like it's going to happen because the dems and reps can't seem to agree on anything, so...that $100 would make a nice dent in taking care of some bills that I can pay locally (assuming it was given to me in cash).  If we weren't facing the loss of income, I'd probably buy a pressure canner and an actual water canner since what I have to use right now isn't specifically made for canning, but works fairly well.  I did a batch of salsa today, will do another tomorrow (spicy today for DH, mild tomorrow for me) and am planning out what else I can put up that we won't have to purchase as we get through this financial trouble-spot {sigh}.  Did have one good thing from a healthcare provider (dentist) - they were able to give me 2 separate itemized bills (one for each child) so that I could fax it to our dental insurance (we have to send it to health insurance first and the office can only enter one insurance carrier for the family, so...once health insurance pays their part, I take the EOB and itemized bill and fax it to dental insurance...ugh...but it wokrs out financially for us).....this is after I was able to refinance the car at a lower rate and save $65 a month...not a lot, but every little bit helps, right?

Larisa72
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM

still trying to decide if i should take the refund from the doc visit ($109) and put it in my till or transfer it to our regular bank savings account....next Friday, I need to have $225.20 in hand when I take my daughter in to have 2 teeth removed (her adult teeth can't even move to push them out because of how the baby teeth are aligned!)...ugh....did get new things listed in my etsy shop with the hope of making some sales to bring in a little extra $$ but not counting on that to do much, just have a little hope...lol

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Would you use the refund towards having the teeth removed?  Seems like that is what I would do unless I already had money set aside for the dentist visit.

Good luck with your Etsy items!! =0)

Quoting Larisa72:

still trying to decide if i should take the refund from the doc visit ($109) and put it in my till or transfer it to our regular bank savings account....next Friday, I need to have $225.20 in hand when I take my daughter in to have 2 teeth removed (her adult teeth can't even move to push them out because of how the baby teeth are aligned!)...ugh....did get new things listed in my etsy shop with the hope of making some sales to bring in a little extra $$ but not counting on that to do much, just have a little hope...lol

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

It is good to have a skill that isn't really taught anymore but is still needed from time to time.  I dread having to sew a button back onto anything let alone anything more than that, I would gladly hand over some cash to someone to do it for me. =0)

Homemade Salsa sounds yummy!  We ♥ spicy in this house but I've never made any myself.  There is a guy in Richmond that makes salsa and I buy a ton of his every year at the Bizarre Bazaar...just found his salsa at our local Yankee Candle, was very happy to see that!

Congrats on refinancing your car - shaving $65 a month off your payment is AWESOME! 

Quoting Larisa72:

Checking in...doing ok with staying on track....helps that there are people who can't do basic sewing and bring me simple things to repair or stitch for them (like popped seams or attaching a patch to a jacket)....it's not a lot of extra $$ but some days it's enough to make it a little better......

To answer the question.....if I were given an extra $100 today.....well, the furlough looks like it's going to happen because the dems and reps can't seem to agree on anything, so...that $100 would make a nice dent in taking care of some bills that I can pay locally (assuming it was given to me in cash).  If we weren't facing the loss of income, I'd probably buy a pressure canner and an actual water canner since what I have to use right now isn't specifically made for canning, but works fairly well.  I did a batch of salsa today, will do another tomorrow (spicy today for DH, mild tomorrow for me) and am planning out what else I can put up that we won't have to purchase as we get through this financial trouble-spot {sigh}.  Did have one good thing from a healthcare provider (dentist) - they were able to give me 2 separate itemized bills (one for each child) so that I could fax it to our dental insurance (we have to send it to health insurance first and the office can only enter one insurance carrier for the family, so...once health insurance pays their part, I take the EOB and itemized bill and fax it to dental insurance...ugh...but it wokrs out financially for us).....this is after I was able to refinance the car at a lower rate and save $65 a month...not a lot, but every little bit helps, right?

Larisa72
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

If the check makes it to the bank and is deposited before the dental visit, then yes, I'd put that towards the cost....but I never expect things by certain dates because it always seems to get mixed up - like today we got a reminder that was postmarked 2/1!! for an eye exam for DH on 2/22...granted, we canceled it, but if we hadn't and I wasn't anal about making sure ALL appointments are on the big family schedule....so..if that $$ gets there in time, it would be great.  Otherwise, it comes out of savings {sigh}

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Would you use the refund towards having the teeth removed?  Seems like that is what I would do unless I already had money set aside for the dentist visit.

Good luck with your Etsy items!! =0)

Quoting Larisa72:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement