Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have cable television?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

We can't totally ditch cable because we are locked into a 2 year agreement, but just for curiosity, I was wondering how that hulu thing worked? If we were to take our cable down to the lowest package, could we supplement the premium channels with hulu? I was just thinking of how I could save some money. Between the cell phone bill and the cable bill it is insane. I could almost quit my job if we didn't have these bills. I cut the cell phone bill, but am locked in with them for 2 years also. Any thoughts on what to do?

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paris2lmp
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM
4 moms liked this

We don't have cable.  We just do netflix through our wii.  Wii just added a youtube channel for free too and I'm really liking that.  I personally don't have any experience with hulu though, so I couldn't help on that account.  A couple years ago when we were facing some devastating financial hardships we dropped anything we could witha contract.  We have straighttalk phones (from walmart) without a monthly contract for a fraction of the cost, we don't do satellite, cable etc, we let our internet contract expire and just go month to month.  It has saved us a TON of money...and when things get tough, we know where we can cut back.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

No we don't have any sort of TV.

dawnnamarie
by Dawn on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM
We have directv. I love it, and I couldn't live without it.

I don't watch much, but the couple shows I like are necessity
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I've got Dish Network...pretty good channels at a very good price!

Personally, I could live without it.  There are sites that have movies and TV shows for free, like Hulu.  We have HDMI cable to hook my laptop to the flat-screen TV and we can watch all we want for free.  DH just can't live without his stupid shows, though....and he goes nuts if he can't watch The Weather Channel.

AdriaD
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM

We've lived without any TV service since the fall of 2004.  We do have Netflix which is only enjoyed in the winter when it gets dark early (or when someone is sick, which is RARE).  I'm not familiar with Hulu, sorry.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Hulu is free and it is alot like netflix, if you get hulu plus, you get most of the cable shows...it is 7.99 a month, my daughter has this and wouldnt go back to netflix because when you have the plus account, the newest shows are available the next day whereas with netflix you dont have a clue. There are a ton of sites that are for free, if interested, send me a quote and I wil send you a couple I know about...cut where you can, we have not had pay tv for over 5 years...

gmadiane
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I like hulu

princess_1983
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Yes we have cable. But we just have the basic package. We also supplement with Hulu and Netflix.
oddfox
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM

No cable. Our eldest got netflix and lets everyone use it. We do get some channels with the regular digital box too. But's no biggie, we like to read and do other stuff.

audmom1218
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

We have cable/internet/phone package.  I really want to get rid of the home phone and cable, but it would only save us about $300/year.  (Our interent is the expensive portion of it).  But I use the intenet the most, and because I travel a lot for work, having a phone with internet really makes things a lot easier so I'm not willing to cut that down.  I could definitely drop us down and just have internet, but DH loves having all the movie channels (he wokrs overnights and has a hard time sleeping during hte day so he watches a lot)  I mostly watch what we could be pulling in with an antenna, or shows on netflix.  I may feel differenty when our daughter is older, but right now she's only 15 months so no TV for her. (Although we do like the toddler music channel and have living room dance parties.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)