Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Cable TV alternatives

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 2 Replies

I am trying to find the right alternative to cable TV.  Right now we have internet and cable combined for $60 per month.  Internet alone with this company would be $69.  I know it;s crazy. I can get internet alone through another company for $35.

We have an HDTV (not HD cable) with PC connection port, a PC and a laptop (with recharging cord issues). We do not have DVR services and I am going crazy without it.  We also do not have a gaming system

We are not big movie watchers, maybe 1 or 2 on the weekend at most.  The TV channels we watch most are ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, HIS, DISC, TLC (or  DHC), HGTV (or DIY) sprout, disney, PBS, the weather channel and at least one or two news channels for DH.   We want to be able to watch some things live and record others.  Pause and rewind are also important to us.  And I want to be able to use the computer while watching TV.

Some ideas I had were:

1- hooking the PC to the TV and streaming programs.  But could I do other stuff on the PC at the same time? 

2- running a usb from PC to laptop to charge laptop (my TomTom uses the computer to recharge, that is where I got this idea) and streaming from the lap top.

3 -  Buying a digital converter box or Boxee type system

I'd love to get some input and ideas including pro/cons, start up costs and monthly fees.

Thanks,

Malena

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Larsbug
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM

not really sure... I have Directv and pay $65 a month for the top 250 channels (all of yours are included in that)

907PickleMom
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I would just go with Internet from another company (the $35 one) and do Netflix and Hulu.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN