Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

I'm a spender and need help/advice

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 25 Replies
I have been gone from the group for a while and didn't post much anyway. But I just answered the question "am I a spender or a saver." That leads me to ask you ladies for some advice. Last October my husband and I got a settlement from a car wreck. It was $17,000. Then in February we got taxes, together around $8,000. So technically we should have ALL $25,000 as we didn't need it for anything. We do just fine with what we earn. We decided in October to save that until we got our taxes and pay cash for a foreclosed home. Well, I spent a lot. We have $18,000. Way less than we expected. I know I spent about $1000 on Christmas, and bought the kids some clothes. Maybe another $500. I have no clue what I did with the rest of the money!!! But I do know I'm the one that doesn't it. :( My question for you ladies, is do you have any advice on how to stop spending? Or good websites or books I should read? At the rate I'm going, we'll never get a house!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JZB
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM
5 moms liked this
Dave Ramsey, keeps me motivated to save
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vikki77
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM
For some reason I can't edit from my phone. That is supposed to say I know I'm the one that spent it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vikki77
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Thank you. I will check him out.

Quoting JZB:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JZB
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM
He has radio shows I listen too it helps kind of a reminder there's a greater goal.

Quoting Vikki77:

Thank you. I will check him out.

Quoting JZB:

JZB
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Also why don't you put it into an account you can't access? Or only access by going into the bank?
KarinHanna
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Hey Vikki, be proud of Yourself right now, You have had an AHA that awareness is the first step in transforming your relationship with money and with saving. Spending isnt the problem, you dont need to stop spending but make clear choices on what you are spending on that align with what you want..a house..check out our Happily ever after series for women, at financiallyfabulous.com probably a good start. I am so proud of you, you can achieve whatever you want and we are here to support and applaud your journey. Its not about not spending but spending on things that go up in value, not down. Come from abundance not lack its temporary, life and money is an investment BE an investor YAY for you MWAH

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM
5 moms liked this
I second Dave Ramsey, he is awesome...minus the very small amount we owe on our house, we became debt free this week....
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Take the remaining money and buy a CD with it.  You can't touch it, and it'll learn a small amount of interest for you.

As for how to stop spending, you need a written budget.  You and DH need to be held accountable to each other for any spending.  If you think "I'll have to tell DH about buying these cute earrings and the blouse that I want to buy on impulse", then you may think twice about mindless spending...and vice versa. 

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I like what michiganmom says, we dont spend money unless we talk it over, it is in our budget, or we are together , even then if it is an amount we question, we go have a cup of coffee, sit down and think the reality of if we need, just want, the item....we did this the other day over a really good price on a laptop,.....it makes good sense on stopping the impulse buying. A big deal right now with coffee drinkers is having a keurig machine in your home...would you use it, is the cost of the individual cups worth it, etc....talk about all of it and then make your decision, big or small.
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Pitch ads that come into your house before looking at them, leave the room when commercials come on, shop only when you have to and that means with a list that you've been making on your fridge. I put anything shoes, milk, etc on this list and it's usually on there for at least a week and I have crossed things off, Only take the money you have budgeted for the list. If you think you need something wait a week.

Another thing that stopped me from spending is I stopped taking price tags off of clothes until I was actually wearing them. Same with the kids clothes. When I went thru their clothes getting rid of what they had outgrown I found several with the tags still on them! I ended up selling them at a yard sale for pennies on the dollar. Now I think twice about what I buy them.

These can help you not spend but you also need to get that money someplace that you can't get to. A CD is great and earns interest for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement