Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

I'm a spender and need help/advice

Posted by   + Show Post
I have been gone from the group for a while and didn't post much anyway. But I just answered the question "am I a spender or a saver." That leads me to ask you ladies for some advice. Last October my husband and I got a settlement from a car wreck. It was $17,000. Then in February we got taxes, together around $8,000. So technically we should have ALL $25,000 as we didn't need it for anything. We do just fine with what we earn. We decided in October to save that until we got our taxes and pay cash for a foreclosed home. Well, I spent a lot. We have $18,000. Way less than we expected. I know I spent about $1000 on Christmas, and bought the kids some clothes. Maybe another $500. I have no clue what I did with the rest of the money!!! But I do know I'm the one that doesn't it. :( My question for you ladies, is do you have any advice on how to stop spending? Or good websites or books I should read? At the rate I'm going, we'll never get a house!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Replies (21-25):
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this

ok i just read that you want the money to be avail..  so why not just put it into an account and leave the card at home, dont carry it with you.  this way there is not way you have access to the account until you really need it.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I also recommend Dave Ramsey - he is pretty awesome.  I wish he would run for President. LOL

I also love using http://www.youneedabudget.com/  - not only does it help me to budget each month, it tracks my spending habits and makes me more accountable for where I spend my money.  They have a free 30 day trial and lots of free live and recorded classes - I highly recommend it.  (I tried using the Dave Ramsey Budget software and I wasn't a fan.)

Good luck!

Mezcaldottie
by New Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Dave /Ramsey for sure and also write down eveything you spend , so you can see where the money goes.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on May. 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I wanted tomakeanother quick reply after reading the posts after I posted the first time....you want your saved money available, have you thought about having a savings account that needs both yours and your husbands signature for a withdrawal? This has helped keep business partners honest for years.......

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Cash will work if you stick to it.  Leave all cards at home.  You can't spend more than you have when it comes to cash.  Try sticking to a list, especially when it comes to places like WMart - stay focused on the list and avoid 'wandering through the aisles'.

If you see something you want that is not on the list, either replace something that is on the list or write it down to go on the list for the next time you are there.  By then, you probably won't even want it anymore.

We've all been there - I mean what Mom doesn't want to buy that shirt for their kid if they know he/she will love it.  It's a great thing that you recognize your not so great spending habits and want to change it.

PS - I know I posted it before but I highly recommend Dave Ramsey - he will change your life!  And a great money tracking software is youneedabudget.com - this could also change the way you look at money.  Both made a huge difference in my life.

Best of luck to you!

Quoting Vikki77:

This is what I'm doing now. I give my husband and myself an allowance. Each Saturday we will get our allowance in cash, put the rest of the money in the bank. Go then and buy what we need for the week, (groceries, pet food, gas in the van) and then we put the debit cards in the safe. I write out the checks for any bills due that week and put them in the mail, and pay any other bills online. Then we don't touch the cards until the next Saturday. We will put any allowance we have left back in with the money that week, and start over with a new allowance, and not keep the leftovers. We just started this yesterday, so I am praying this works for us. And as far as spending money, I don't know why. Lol it's not my mood. I just go into Wal-Mart because I need diapers, and then I buy some pens for work (although I have about 50 at home) buy my son a shirt because I know he would love it, pick up a bag of candy, drinks for everyone, and anything I think is just too cute as I walk by. :( I don't have anything I can take back. We are using it all. But we didn't need it to start with.

Quoting DisabledVet:

There is a simple way to stop spending. Use only cash for everything. You need to create a budget and stick t it. You also need to sit down and go through all the receipts and see WHERE you spent the money. If you can't seem to not spend then put your husband in charge of the money. I'd also try to figure out WHY you spend. Do you spend when you're unghappy? Many people spend because of the rush they get when they are spending. They are no different then addicts. How does your husband feel about the money being gone?  Can you take back any of the items you spent the money on? If so do it. And again don't carry a checkbook, debit/credit cardl or any other device that lets you spend meony.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement